Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

loaches vs. snails

I'm planning on getting some loaches (I know they eat snails) and I plan on getting some snails. I like the MTS but have heard they are harder for them to eat. Will they eradicate the snail population completely or no? I'd like to be able to keep both the snails and the loaches. Any suggestions? Any snails I should definitely stay away from for whatever reason? I've never had any at all so I know nothing about them. I just know I like the MTS shells. I don't have any live plants to worry about. I may in the future but none ATM. Thanks...

Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: loaches vs. snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyyro
I like the MTS but have heard they are harder for them to eat. Will they eradicate the snail population completely or no?
In my experience, good bye snails. My experience lies with pond and MTS snails, not the bigger ones. My loaches may have had problems eating the MTS, but trust me, that didn't slow them down...
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, 3 loaches whiped out my 200+ mts population in my 30 gal over a period of a few months...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

So then I guess it's safe to say that snails can't or won't be a regular part of their diet. There's no sense in me getting some snails if they are just going to eat all of them. I was sort of hoping they would just keep the population down. I guess in the end, it's all just a constant supply of food for them until they're gone.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of people will breed snails in a tank for their loaches.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
You could just breed the snails in another tank and transfer the largest to that tank. It may take them a bit longer to eat the large MTS. I know some people have large MTS living with loaches. The small ones, they don't stand a snowballs chance in heck.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's something you could do, keep a small container somewhere with some gravel and put mts in, they are pretty temperature resilient, although they breed better in higher temps. Just feed them a sinking algae wafer once or twice a week, depending on how much you have.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
Re: loaches vs. snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyyro
I just know I like the MTS shells. I don't have any live plants to worry about. I may in the future but none ATM. Thanks...
MTS don't eat plants anyways. My kuhli loaches appear to ignore my larger MTS

Tags
loach, loaches, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com