Lobster and Rams as tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a question that is sorta like this, so I thought I'd stick it here.

The bottom of my 20 gal tank is pretty dang dirty, but I don't want the added task and stress to the fish of vaccuming the gravel. I'm thinking about getting a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster, but once he gets bigger, he might eat some of my platies. there is currently plenty of room in the tank, so would it be a possibility to add a few small cichlids like the rams?

OK, it goes like this... Nearly any "Lobster" will eat any given fish if it has a chance. it may take a while, but the Lobster have a lot of time and in most cases, they will eventually kill a fish or two.

I would say absolutely not, they're both bottom dwelling creatures and crayfish will eventually clean out your tank of anything that can't eat the crayfish itself.

The bottom of my 20 gal tank is pretty dang dirty, but I don't want the added task and stress to the fish of vaccuming the gravel.
You need to vacuum the gravel. The fish will be fine, just don't chase them with the vacuum. As I said in the other thread, anything else that you put in there will produce it's own waste. You will need to physically remove it from the tank. Lobsters are filter feeders, not poo eaters. No fish or crustacean will eat other another fish's waste. Break out the gravel vac!! :wink:

i second M on this. Anyway in long run lobster is a no no in any fish tank. A fornightly vacuum will be ok for any tank.

HTH

Finally some rationality. My jaw procided to drop further and further to the floor as I read, until I read Menageries post.

Your fish will be more stressed by breathing high Amon, Nitra and a bottum full of crap, than they will a gravel vac in the tank.

Can anyone name a single fish or crustation that enjoys eating s&#t? Get off your lazy hinny and gravel vac or get rid of the tank. It's that simple.

Well said mojo! If the tank is dirty be a responsible fish owner and clean it rather than add something else to the tank that will make mess. :roll:

Thing is, I'm pretty sure most of the stuff on the bottom is uneaten food, although, since I'm feeding flake food, it should rot, so you are probably right. I'll look for a vaccum then, any advice on what kind I should get?

On a sorta similar note, would a ram cichilid/other small cichlid or 2 work in my tank?

I'll look for a vaccum then, any advice on what kind I should get?

On a sorta similar note, would a ram cichilid/other small cichlid or 2 work in my tank?

Gravel vacs are just clear tubing attached to a section of smaller tubing. They all work the same way, I have a couple of cheap ones from Wal Mart ($4 each) and one I paid $20 for at a LFS with fancy "features". The $20 vac gives me trouble :(

Rams need very good water quality in a tank and would not be considered beginner fish. I would reccomend you get in the habit of keeping the tank clean first, then look into getting Rams.

lol at the thought of having a lobster in a tank with slow moving fish.

i had one for six months before i moved it to its own tank. during those six months it just sat in its rock cave, waiting for fish to swim by. didn't matter how big they were, if the fish was too slow when swimming by, it got hit with the claws...period.

Back
Top Bottom