LOL Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far my mom's Betta, Bernerd, is doing great. We decided to give him a couple guppy fry to "see what he would do" and our whole family was impressed at his fry catching skills. He seemed to enjoy it emensely.

How often should he be fed one? They are a couple weeks old now so they are bigger than newborn fry. We have been been giving him pellet food but have never seen him eat any. I may have to invest in some kind of worms for him if he enjoys live food this much. What would you all reccomend?

Only give him them as a treat, same with the worms. Bettas should be kept on a staple of pellets. If you give him the "treats" all the time, he will refuse the pellets, and therefore not get the essential nutrients he needs. Try soaking the pellets for about five minutes, and only give him about 3 each feeding, since their stomachs are only about as big as their eyes. If he still refuses the pellets, you can try soaking the pellets in garlic juice. If he STILL refuses, fast him for a few days. :)
Glad to hear he's doing good! That's great! :D

I suppose when he gets hungry enough he'll eat the pellets. We only put in like 2 per day. I will limit his live food to say once per week.

Sounds good! And you can boil and de-shell some frozen peas to feed him once a week too, to help keep him from getting a swim bladder issue.
I feed my bettas 3 pellets, soaked, twice a day. They get boiled peas and pellets on Thursday, and on Friday they get about 3 bloodworms and 2 pellets at one feeding, the other feeding, they get the 3 pellets. :)

Well, I am no pro, but I did a PILE of research and talked to some people who have had bettas forever LOL. I do love them though, it's a weakness. I wish I could have more....

Peas for bettas, how neat, I am going to give my guy some and see if he likes it!! Thanks for the tip :)

I did hear about the pea thing - next time we have peas I will prepare one for him. I wonder what it is about peas that is good for them?

The peas are a laxative, which helps with swim bladder issues, same as with all fish.
Peachy~ Make sure you boil and de-shell the peas first, and mush them a little. You want it all soft, no hard parts in there. :)

Back
Top Bottom