Lone German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a male GBR in a 10 gallon tank. It's well planted and well established. His only companions are a few dozen cherry red shrimp who he seems to ignore. He feeds well and always comes to the glass when I talk to him (no, I'm not a nutter).
I am an experienced fish keeper and keep the tank parameters spot on but I have not had a GBR before.
Is it best to keep him on his own or will I be courting trouble by getting a female?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I love German Blue Rams! I currently have 7 in my 36 gal. planted tank. They get along well with other community fish, and they kind of puff up at each other once and awhile, but no real aggression. I am not really sure of the mix of males and females at this stage, but I have a few that are about 2 1/2 years old now.

Leave it as a loner. If getting a female then upgrade to a 20g. As they get older they get more territorial. If wanting more get a 1m-3fm ratio

I have had them for years, and I've never had them get territorial. The fish in my tank that is territorial is the SAE. All of my fish swim throughout the entire tank, there is not a section that they all stay away from, nor are they all crammed into one side of the tank. I guess it just depends on one's experience with them...

I had the bright idea of adding a GBR about a year ago into my peaceful tank with 4 Bolivian rams and 2 angels.
This little guy terrorized my whole tank! He kept all the fish in either side and claimed most of the center part of the tank to himself. After a few days I removed him and gave him away.

You can get him a female. Keep the water clean is all. Don't see those rcs lasting all that long though. Ime females are the brutes, they will battle each other constantly if a suitable male is present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank, all Malawi. Angelfish are cichlids as well. I have never had aggression in my community tank from the GBRs. I have had this community planted tank for over 5 years; I've had problems with other fish, like black skirted tetras, going after my Angels, but never the GBRs.

10G is a little small for a GBR IMO, I'm surprised he hasn't gobbled up all the shrimp too, the rams I have owned would eat any shrimp no questions asked.
Keep him a loner, if you introduced another ram then you'd likely have a bloodbath in a 10G. If you wanted to try out a partner for him you should upgrade to a 20G at the very least.
For the most part rams aren't too aggressive unless they pair up and breeding behavior kicks in.

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to keep him on his own. As for the shrimp, almost half the tank is solid moss and the little shrimp keep clear. He doesn't bother the bigger shrimp and they steal food from him. Strange set up, but it works.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This reinforces my decision to add an Electric Blue Ram to my community tank...Everything I have read about them makes them out to be peaceful even though they are Cichlids. I will keep it as a loner in a 55g with a Dwarf Gourami, some Dwarf Neon Rainbows , and a nice school of Rummynose....Looking forward to it!!

Back
Top Bottom