Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lone species

Hi all, I have a question that I did not find the answer too in another forum.

It goes as follows; what kind of freshwater fish will do better alone as a species in a community tank with other fish of different species. Im looking for a "one of" species to add to my 29g long community tank. I know these types of fish would be on the aggressive side. Usually the answer is to add more of a species to moderate the aggression level, im wondering if some species need the opposite to moderate aggression.

Ps
I currently have swordtails, rummy nose & neon tetras and corys
Water temp: 78
Ph: 7.2-7.8

Old 04-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisham View Post

It goes as follows; what kind of freshwater fish will do better alone as a species in a community tank with other fish of different species. Im looking for a "one of" species to add to my 29g long community tank. I know these types of fish would be on the aggressive side. Usually the answer is to add more of a species to moderate the aggression level, im wondering if some species need the opposite to moderate aggression.

Ps
Gourami, rainbow shark (probably get too big for a 29), small plec, oto cat.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure what your motivation is to have one individual of one species in a community tank. I guess this is the concept of a "centerpiece fish?" Most all fish are happier and I think healthier when they are in groups, whether shoals, schools, or loose aggregations. Few fish live in nature as lone individuals of one species.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Otos like a group and are very active with others of their own kind
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

German Blue Ram I think might work very well
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I'm not sure what your motivation is to have one individual of one species in a community tank. I guess this is the concept of a "centerpiece fish?" Most all fish are happier and I think healthier when they are in groups, whether shoals, schools, or loose aggregations. Few fish live in nature as lone individuals of one species.
Im asking this because I am limited to 29 gallons of water and I would love to see a semi-aggressive fish swimming amoungst my own. A centerpiece fish if so.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
German Blue Ram I think might work very well
I would love to see a German Blue Ram in there but I heard you need to keep them at 85į, im afraid its cooks my other fish. Will they be okay you think?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Ps
A beautiful colored long fluffy finned male betta makes a nice lively addition to my Angel fish tank. I love my beautiful bright red betta, but I saw a most beautiful glowing green pic of one on the forum. Someone else already suggested a Gourami. A male blue Gourami would be fine too...pretty and lively. Neither of these two would be aggressive to other species. Male bettas would fight each other to the death, so do make sure you only get one if you decide on the betta.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjallen3 View Post
A beautiful colored long fluffy finned male betta makes a nice lively addition to my Angel fish tank. I love my beautiful bright red betta, but I saw a most beautiful glowing green pic of one on the forum. Someone else already suggested a Gourami. A male blue Gourami would be fine too...pretty and lively. Neither of these two would be aggressive to other species. Male bettas would fight each other to the death, so do make sure you only get one if you decide on the betta.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1523839311200.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	308462

I decided to go with a male powder blue dwarf gourami. So far hes friendly with the others, constantly goes back and forth at the front of the tank. Water parameters are good so I don't worry much.
Thank you all for your replys, much appreciated!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Attachment 308462

I decided to go with a male powder blue dwarf gourami. So far hes friendly with the others, constantly goes back and forth at the front of the tank. Water parameters are good so I don't worry much.
Thank you all for your replys, much appreciated!
Good choice. He's beautiful!

Tags
spec, species

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com