lonely little neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Update on my community tank. (warning .... a bit overly sentimental about my fish :kiss: :roll: )

--- A couple months ago I wrote about the tank I was creating and not being sure what to do with the fish I already had. :sorry: I didn't want to take them back to the LFS, but they didn't exactly "fit" my vision for this tank. In particular I had a little neon tetra that I'd come to admire. Here is the original thread.

I decided that these fish were my friends and I needed to take care of them. If I took the neon back to the LFS she'd probably die from the stress and so would the others. So I put these fish in the main tank and I bought my lonely little neon some buddies. I VERY carefully aclimated the new neons to my liquid rock-type water and kept them in QT for 10 days or so. I put the new guys in the main tank and my little neon was thrilled. She immediately joined the gang and she taught them how to come to the surface for food. They've been doing well together for a couple weeks now. It warms my heart. My little neon looks so happy schooling with the others. :wink: 8)

Thanks for listening.
:pepsi: :popcorn:

That is so good to hear! Actually, I was just thinking about you the other day and how things were working out with the lone neon. I'm glad she's happy and you are too! Thanks for the update.

How can you tell the difference between all the neons? Did she get lost on the mix or can you actually tell which one is her? That is a cute story by the way..... =)

There's few things sadder in aquariums than a single schooling fish. Now everyone's happier, hard to say whether you or the fish is the most.

Thats Great!

How many neons do you have in total? I just added 12 to a tank I just cycled. I have to say that I have never seen neons so stress free and they are looking great. In my experience they are not the hardiest fish but in large numbers they do much better.

Good Luck,
Brian

Andos99 said:
How can you tell the difference between all the neons? Did she get lost on the mix or can you actually tell which one is her? That is a cute story by the way..... =)

Oh, I can't tell which one was my loner neon, nor can I tell if she's a she. :? However I can see that all the neons are schooling together and the new guys accepted my lonely one immediately. So she must be happier with the six newbies of her own kind. :mrgreen:

I picked up 6 more nwarf neon rainbows yesterday. Of the original 6, 3 were killed by a rogue red-tail botia. (long since returned to the lfs) The new ones hit the tank and hid, then one by one found the 3 larger ones. Now they all hang together, and the lone female from the first group has 3 more females, so she isn't getting harassed by the males constantly. The 2 original males have also stopped chasing each other around the tank, they seemed somewhat territorial when there were only the 2 of them in there. Stress from not having enough for a school?

Back
Top Bottom