Lonely Male Betta Seeks Companionship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know that sounds like a personals ad..... :lol:

I just moved my male Betta "Mr. Jones" into his new 5.5gal lightly planted bachelor pad. He is now looking for a roommate or two to keep him company.

img_646433_0_42a2a9bbdfa4012fab2d4d21fe38e71d.jpg

I'm just trying to figure out what to add. I'd love to get some panda cories, but 5.5gal is not big enough for the 3+ I'd have to get in order for them to be happy too. My other option is to pick up a couple of Otos and put them in there, but I have Otos in every tank and was looking for something different. I'm afraid shrimp would probably end up being a light snack.

Any suggestions?

A trio of cherry barbs? A mystery snail (betta might nip at his tentacles...have a plan just in case)? An African dwarf frog?

A 5.5 gal really doesn't offer much. I used to have snails and ghost shrimp with our Betta. He never tried to eat any of them, thankfully.

You can try a trio of Cardinal Tetras. They will fit your size requirement and will accent the color of "Mr Jones".

Dark purple or golden mystery snail would look wicked in there with Mr Jones.
I have baby goldens if you are interested. (Still too little to ship just 1 week old)

I've got a platy in with mine, not a very colourful platy though. They get on fine but as I always tell people with bettas, be sure to have another place for the new fish in case it doesn't work out.

I ended up getting neon tetras. I figured if it didn't work that I could always add them to the school in my 30gal. As it turns out, he has hardly paid any attention to them. He didn't flare at them one time.

Mr. Jones is so full of himself, that he doesn't have time for other fish. He just couldn't be bothered....lol.

Back
Top Bottom