Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Long Fin Red Minor Tetras

I purchased 2 Long Fin Red Minor Tetras last night, they are beautiful fish, but when I got home and researched them a little bit more I found out they are somewhat agressive.

Anyone own and have problems with these fish? I only got 2 of these fish, so I should be okay (praying).

gail

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a school that was peaceful and not nippy, other fishkeepers have experienced aggression.

You do need to boost that school up to 6-8, which is typical with tetras.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know if I want to get anymore, I've been reading the fish are worse the more you have. I have other tetras in my tank, so I should be okay.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Each tetra species needs to be treated individually. They will not consider other tetras part of their school. Ultimately, it's up to you, but generally when you keep the fish in their proper school size, you end up with less aggression. The larger the school, the more any aggression can be spread out, so you don't tend to lose fish.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have sx with six red & blue tetras they all get along. All fish can't be judge the same way. I have 3 difrent school of tiger and never seen them nip anyone.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I had a school and they were nippy and nasty. It depends on your tankmates though if that matters. It mattered with my angels/rummies, but it probably wouldn't have mattered with a lot of other fish.
I agree though that those issues are limited with a full school of 6-8 fish at least.
That was my experience anyways.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most, if not all schooling fish are aggressive if they aren't in a complete school because it isn't natural for them to be without a lot of company. I they're still nippy even if you add more and they are a specific issue with tank mates, you can always return them.

Tags
fin, long, red minor, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com