Long Fin Red Minor Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 2 Long Fin Red Minor Tetras last night, they are beautiful fish, but when I got home and researched them a little bit more I found out they are somewhat agressive.

Anyone own and have problems with these fish? I only got 2 of these fish, so I should be okay (praying).

gail

I had a school that was peaceful and not nippy, other fishkeepers have experienced aggression.

You do need to boost that school up to 6-8, which is typical with tetras.

I don't know if I want to get anymore, I've been reading the fish are worse the more you have. I have other tetras in my tank, so I should be okay.

Each tetra species needs to be treated individually. They will not consider other tetras part of their school. Ultimately, it's up to you, but generally when you keep the fish in their proper school size, you end up with less aggression. The larger the school, the more any aggression can be spread out, so you don't tend to lose fish.

I have sx with six red & blue tetras they all get along. All fish can't be judge the same way. I have 3 difrent school of tiger and never seen them nip anyone.

I had a school and they were nippy and nasty. It depends on your tankmates though if that matters. It mattered with my angels/rummies, but it probably wouldn't have mattered with a lot of other fish.
I agree though that those issues are limited with a full school of 6-8 fish at least.
That was my experience anyways.

Most, if not all schooling fish are aggressive if they aren't in a complete school because it isn't natural for them to be without a lot of company. I they're still nippy even if you add more and they are a specific issue with tank mates, you can always return them.

Back
Top Bottom