Looking at getting a small aquarium for my 3 year olds bedroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phoenixkiller said:
As I said, Neon Tetras are a great option for a 10 gallon...

No, they really need more horizontal swim space like someone else pointed out. I wouldn't do it.

I personally have kept Neon Tetras in my ten gallon tank for more than three years, and they are as happy and active as the Neons in my friend's 55 gallon tank. As long as they have responsible owners and a large enough school (5+) they will survive and thrive in a 1,000 gallon aquarium and a 10 gallon aquarium....

What about white cloud minnows? They are subtropical and can handle cooler temps so you could go without a heater as long as your house stays at least 70F.

I love my long fin white clouds! They might be a little too spazzy for a 10 though....they might feel cramped. On the other hand, I just got a 10 that is stocked with neon tetras, and they school in that 10 better than I've seen any of my fish school. Beautiful fish. :smitten:

I think I'm gonna do a mystery snail or two, 5 Pygmy cories and 6-10 chili rasboras, some amazon frogbit floating plants, java moss and or horn wort. And probably black sand. I think that will be sweet

I'm thinking if I can snag a 20 bow front I may run the same plan and add a school of galaxy rasboras of 6-10 or something along those lines. Maybe a DG or some other centerpiece fish.

Chronos313 said:
I'm thinking if I can snag a 20 bow front I may run the same plan and add a school of galaxy rasboras of 6-10 or something along those lines. Maybe a DG or some other centerpiece fish.

unless you get the DG from a good breader/dealer I would suggest a different type of gourami because DG generally die .. there are a few people on this site that have had good luck with them but a lot of people who have had bad luck.. just a suggestion. a Pearl, honey, gold, kissing or other gouramis would work just as good.. IMO!

alia258 said:
(I didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to make a fish suggestion) in a 3g, the best I could think of is a spoiled beta (haha :)) for a 5g tank, you could get 3-4 neon tetras or 2 male guppies and some red cherry shrimp. For a 10g, you can get some neon tetras, cory catfish, guppies, shrimp, black skirt tetras, or something of that sort that stays small. The general rule I go by for my fish (the ones I currently have) are 2 gallons per guppy (I have three) 1 gallon per neon tetra (also have three) and 1 gallon per cory catfish (I only have one, but I might get him a friend) I know my tank is pretty heavily stocked, but I think I have enough space for one more cory, since they do more cleaning and food eating than they produce waste. And cories do better in groups, and my poor fella looks so lonely! Hope I helped! ^^

Minimum tank size for neons and cories is a 20g, no way you could put 2 cories in a 2g (which is what you are saying). I wouldn't put black skirts in anything less then a 30g, mine are extremely active. But thats just me and my personal preference. I beleive the minimum for black skirts is 20g also. Not trying to be rude, just saying.

Sounds like you have a great plan :) Sure you don't want a centerpiece fish?? If it were me I'd do a Betta, 6 rasboras, and two mystery snails.

GuppyLover said:
Minimum tank size for neons and cories is a 20g

I keep neons and glowlight tetra in less than a 20gal.

They have more than enough room to school and hide, they are from how I perceive it, happy.

Seems many people pass their opinion as fact here....

GuppyLover said:
Minimum tank size for neons and cories is a 20g, no way you could put 2 cories in a 2g (which is what you are saying). I wouldn't put black skirts in anything less then a 30g, mine are extremely active, but thats just me and my personal preference. I beleive the minimum for black skirts is 20g also. Not trying to be rude, just saying

no! I'm keeping them in a 10g! I wouldn't be so cruel to keep any fish in a 2g, except a beta because they do fine in those! I just want my cory to have a friend! ^^

Small puffer fish?

Pea puffer. 1 fish in a tank. I have one in a 5 gallon. Its very happy and 4 or more years old.
Cool little fish. I had it in a 20 gallon, 10 Gallon and now a 5 Gallon tank. As long as you have a nice setup, the puffer will be very happy. They eat snails and blood worm.

josh7 said:
I definitely wouldn't get a 3 gallon at least in a 5 you could have a betta or some nanofish but if you can go for a 10 I would get all male guppys I have them and it is a very colorful tank. You could get like 5 male guppys and a whole bunch of ghost shrimp I think your daughter would find these very interesting since you can see their organs and bones.

As ghost shrimp are invertebrates, they do not have bones... ;)

Back
Top Bottom