looking for a good light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigemike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a max budget of about $120 for a light for my 30" wide 56 gallon tank. I might do plants down the road. I am looking at led or t5 and I would like to get something that is easy on the power $$ and will look better than the cheapo bulb that came with the tank.

Try looking at fishneedit.com. Alot of people reccommended that site for the T5 light fixtures. I just picked up a 48" fixture for under $90.

At first glance, I doubt those fixtures would be suitable for growing most freshwater plants. 1W LEDs are generally just not very powerful - especially at depths over 12" or so. The PAR ratings I have seen around the net for most 1W LEDs are abysmal. On a 56 gallon tank, if you want an LED fixture, your best bet would be to build one... you are not going to find a COTS fixture that suits your budget and is suitable for growing plants.

T5HO would be your best lighting solution with that budget, imo. As Talvari pointed out, fishneedit make a decent fixture for about the best price you can find.

Back
Top Bottom