Looking for a good schooling species in a 75 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuomiBetta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, I'm planning a 75 gallon long with this stocking: 1 Red-Tailed Shark, 1 Blue Gourami and 5 Bosemani Rainbowfish. I would like to add a nice school of fish for the middle of the tank for movement but all the usual suspects are either too small or too fast and would stress out the shark and Gourami. The tank will be heavily planted with a pale sand, driftwood, rock formations and a few more surreal decorations for playing, hiding or lounging. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say scissor tail rasboras. They aren't colorful but a school of them is beautiful. Some of the larger tetra species like gold tetras might work. Word of warning, don't get any fish that have black or red. They will most likely be harassed by the shark.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would say scissor tail rasboras. They aren't colorful but a school of them is beautiful. Some of the larger tetra species like gold tetras might work. Word of warning, don't get any fish that have black or red. They will most likely be harassed by the shark.

Okay, I'll look up the rasboras. They won't be nipped by the Gourami will they? Thanks for the color tip. I was thinking more of a silvery fish, but gold tetras might work too, are they as delicate as Neons or Cardinals? I would have kept tetras but my water is prone to kH and gH spikes which makes me nervous for their health.

The tetras and rasboras are super hardy. They shouldn't be bothered by the gourami and the rasboras are actually silver. When they swim the tail looks like a pair of scissors cutting. It's really neat to watch.

The tetras and rasboras are super hardy. They shouldn't be bothered by the gourami and the rasboras are actually silver. When they swim the tail looks like a pair of scissors cutting. It's really neat to watch.

Nice! According to AqAdvisor I'll need more filter power but that won't be too big of an issue. How big of a school will they need? I put in 7 as a baseline.

7-10 would be a good number.

Then I'll stick to 7. 10 might be too many fish. Good thing they're roughly the same size as the Rainbowfish so no one thinks they're a tasty snack (the main problem I had looking at other shoals)! Thanks for your help!

I would do Roseline sharks. They are a tad bigger and have a lot more color.

On a 75 I would do two Aquaclear 110s.

I would do Roseline sharks. They are a tad bigger and have a lot more color.

On a 75 I would do two Aquaclear 110s.

I'll certainly keep it in mind, thanks (much cheaper than the canisters I was looking at)! Are those Roseline's going to aggravate my Red-Tail (who is the centerpiece of the tank with all stocking choices revolved around him!)? I'll look them up certainly!

Last edited:
Congo tetras are always an awesome choice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

Congo tetras are always an awesome choice as well.

Are they a larger and hardier species of tetra? I love tetras but my water is prone to kH and gH spikes which is why I've never really kept them. But I'll go look them up as well. Edit after research: I'm afraid they're much too small for what I have in mind. Very pretty indeed but I would worry about them being munched on by the Gourami or picked on by the Bosemanis.

Last edited:
They probably get a little bigger than you think. Check this thread for reference (note this is a 265g tank):
265 rebirth, Congos and friends. Moved to Long Beach, rescaped

3+ inches and very full bodied.

26, yeesh! They are nice! It's worth considering now that I know that they're a little heftier than I originally found. The orange seems a little too close to red and I don't want the Shark chasing them around (or the Gourami for that matter!) and are they not as delicate as the more common Neons/Cardinals? I live near a treatment plant so usually the water is (usually) where I want it 60 kH/80 gH but it does spike to 180 gH/ 120 kH (in ppm) so I've been reluctant to keep tetras for their own safety.

Roselines will not bother anything. Most likely you will like them most, everyone at the store I ran did. A school of them when they get larger, settled in, and color up, is quite a site.

FYI redtails aren't exactly docile. If anything they may pester other fish before they get pestered.

Roselines will not bother anything. Most likely you will like them most, everyone at the store I ran did. A school of them when they get larger, settled in, and color up, is quite a site.

FYI redtails aren't exactly docile. If anything they may pester other fish before they get pestered.

I'm well aware of the Red-Tail's nasty tenancies! Which is why I picked bigger just as tough fish to go with it (and no bottom dwellers to irritate it) I have plenty of time to pick out some fish, but so far I'm liking the scissor-tail rasboras, I love watching them swim. So lovely! :) I wanted a more silvery-shiny fish to complement the black on the shark, the blue/yellow/silver on the bosemani's and the pale blue of the Gourami. And according to AqAdvisor they seem to put in more of a bioload. Are they poop machines? They are a nice fish though. Maybe for a different tank :)

No. They get bigger than scissortails, but I wouldn't worry too much about AqAdvisor, if you keep up the water changes and watch the nitrate you will be fine.

I guess if you haven't seen a school of them in great condition they may not seem like that much better of a fish, but they really are a stunning fish.

No. They get bigger than scissortails, but I wouldn't worry too much about AqAdvisor, if you keep up the water changes and watch the nitrate you will be fine.

I guess if you haven't seen a school of them in great condition they may not seem like that much better of a fish, but they really are a stunning fish.

I have found pictures of them in full color, very pretty and lovely. AqAdvisor didn't show that much of a difference between the two, but I thought I'd ask anyway (I've kept platys. Talk about poop machines!). And they seem to be very rare fish. Admittedly I am paying for those Bosemanis and likely whatever school I choose but my research is indicating that they are very susceptible to chemical changes. I don't want to buy such beautiful creatures and then have them hurt because my water does fluctuate over time. So they probably wouldn't thrive very well and I'd be very upset to see that happen.

They are not as rare as they used to be. It seems almost every Petsmart and most Petcos are selling them now. At least at Petsmart they run what we used to pay for them at the shop. We would pay $6-7 and sell them for $22 or so. Now Petsmart has them for $6-7. I haven't found them to be particularly sensitive to anything. Good water + good food = thriving fish.

They are not as rare as they used to be. It seems almost every Petsmart and most Petcos are selling them now. At least at Petsmart they run what we used to pay for them at the shop. We would pay $6-7 and sell them for $22 or so. Now Petsmart has them for $6-7. I haven't found them to be particularly sensitive to anything. Good water + good food = thriving fish.

Well my Petsmart doesn't have either the Rainbowfish, rasboras or roselines :/ I don't know where you live so I consider you blessed! I have good food, my water is the problem! I love my fish as children and worry about them accordingly. I'm leery of online buying but I'm probably going to have to for this tank.

Check in with Petsmart and ask. They all usually carry about the same stuff. If you ask at least you will know for sure you can't get any from them.

Back
Top Bottom