looking for a new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a tank with gold fish and they are always on the bottom of the tank i was wondering if there was a fish that would stay at the top of the tank and be nice to my goldfish
thanks

it is a 35 i think (fairly new to us- a gift)
by the way the move went off with out a hitch
thanks for the help

I'm glad to hear the trip went well! BTW~time to change your location :wink:

From another thread, you said you had "eight very small little guys & 2 large fan tails apx. 3 Inchs each."
That's a lot of goldies in a 35 gal. I know they are small now, but most goldie keepers will tell you a minimum of 10 gals per goldie for best heath and long life. I was in the LFS the other day biting my tongue until it almost fell off. Behind me were two customers that did not know each other and were talking about fish. I won't go into the whole thing, but I heard guy A say to guy B that if you keep a goldfish in a smallish container, they get to a certain length and then die. They never get too big--it's true what they say about the size of the tank constricting size of the fish. That was after guy B stated he would be cycling his tank with "throw away" fish. My husband could not get me out of there fast enough. Even as I type this , my blood is boiling.

What was my point?? Oh, you will need to upgrade your tank, or think about another tank for your goldies to live healthy, long lives! I find myself getting new tanks (that would explain the 6 in the house and 2 in my office).

oh wow that is bad but i must admit that this whole fish thing started for me several months ago with a gold fish bowl (did not know any better) started looking for info on how to take care of them and very quickly got the 20 gallon when we moved we inherited the new tank which i am not completely sure about trying to find out more about its true size and so on before doing anything to bold with it and getting more info on any fish we might add in the future! but the fish are being separated between the two tanks (placement is still up in the air)

Goldfish really shouldn't all be hanging out on the bottom. Have you checked their water parameters lately? With that many fish in there (GF are extremely high waste producers) you should be doing huge weekly water changes. Long-term GF keepers do as much as 90% weekly.

hey benji, to find your size of your unknown tank, go to the calculators section fromthe main page on here.

hope so
we are still going to wait awhile before we do anything with it though it has the water the and the filters going with one snail just kinda doing his thing in there

Back
Top Bottom