Looking for ADF tnak mates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kupcake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are about to put two ADFs into a 29gal tank, we were looking for tank mates that are not fish (really we dont want any more fish). My fiance wants crabs, but i dont think they would get on well with the frogs (they would hurt them). I know that ghost shrimp are ok, but what about other types of shrimp, like cherry or tiger?

Any other imputs?

Definately not crabs, they will eat the ADF's. As far as I know most shrimp will get on fine. I have never heard any reports of problems with shrimp and ADF's.

No crabs! Most are actually terrestrial anyway and have a tendancy to go "exploring" around your house.

Most shrimp would be fine, but the ADF won't say no to any babies it can catch. My personal favorites are blueberry and cherry shrimps, but if you are willing to spend the cash, Sulawasi have become my newest interest, but 70 bucks a peice I will wait a little longer!:eek:

I think that small pleccos would be a good choice. By the way, do they have webbing on their front feet? If they don't they are ACFs and they can grow huge and eat whatever they can fit in their mouths. I have known some people to be sold ACFs by mistake and they paid for it when the froggers made lunch of their other fishies. But plecos are good with both ADFs and ACFs and I have two small ones with my bigger ACF and because of the plating that these fish have, she doesn't try to eat them.

I will let you know this. ADFs are very sensitive to a certain fungus, chytrid fungus, that's been affecting the amphibian populations around the world, and they can die from it. I would advise you to get 50% Benzalkonium Chloride from online. The website is included. If your new froggers start to shed in chunks and not eat, it's time to treat them. You would treat them in another container with 9 parts water to one part BC for every other day for about two weeks. Sadly, these froggers often do come sick from the stores.

I would also advise giving it frozen bloodworms as its staple food. Pick out the few juiciest bloodworms and feed them to your frogger through a turkey baster. I do this to mine, but I tend to hide the food so they have to search the bottom for the food. They search the bottome the whole night, that's how driven they are to find all their food.

I hope this helps.

Hey, I don't know if this helps, but my sis and are talking about setting up a tank this summer which would include the ADF. The fish we've considered (not necessarily all, but just fish that we like in genera) are: female bettas, otos, guppies, zebra danio, and ghost shrimp.

I think I remember reading somewhere that ADF do ok with ghost shrimp.

horse_lover1991: I have had ADFs and ACFs for over 5 years...lol so i know all these things. But good looking out by putting all the info out there. Too many times people get into things with out knowing what they should.

Like i said i have had both kinds of frogs for a long time, i had always housed them together, but now we only have 2 ADFs now in a huge 29gal. I dont want fish, and i know ghost shrimp are ok. My real question is:

What other types of shrimp are ok with frogs?

As long as the shrimp is an algae eater or filter feeder, it won't pose any threat to the frog. Then it's just a matter of ensuring that the frogs won't decide the shrimp are food. Sticking to larger shrimp that would be hard to eat would probably be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom