Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Looking for advice on getting my main tank back up and running, ensuring ich is gone

Hey all,

Looking for some further advice I got about purging my main tank of any ich remnants. Had been helpfully advised that running a fishless tank at 30 Celsius + with eSHa EXIT in the water at a heavy dose as there is 0 fish should be purged in a weeks time.

Today is a week of this process and I was wondering if anyone with a similar experience can advise if I should take any additional precaution ?
I had thought of aquarium salt + boiling water sponge wash down after emptying might be good ? My Oranda would very much like to be out of his QT tank into his bigger home but he's has a rough run of illnesses and I daren't run the risk of infecting him without some advice.

Thanks all ^^

Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've just used the higher temperatures, no meds--89F/32C will kill it in a few days on its own. If you're concerned, up the temp to 32 for a few more days and you oughtta be good. At 30, it can't procreate, but it doesn't necessarily kill it, hence the raise to 32.

5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylNeko View Post
I've just used the higher temperatures, no meds--89F/32C will kill it in a few days on its own. If you're concerned, up the temp to 32 for a few more days and you oughtta be good. At 30, it can't procreate, but it doesn't necessarily kill it, hence the raise to 32.
Thanks for the reply.
The issue is my heater peaks at 30C, I added boiling water at it raised to 36C but within three hours itís regulated back at 30C. Do you think that if I wait a few more days 30C could do the job ? Buying a new heater is a bit hard to do with the current situation going on in the world
Old 04-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocket View Post
Thanks for the reply.
The issue is my heater peaks at 30C, I added boiling water at it raised to 36C but within three hours itís regulated back at 30C. Do you think that if I wait a few more days 30C could do the job ? Buying a new heater is a bit hard to do with the current situation going on in the world
From what I recall, two weeks at 30 oughtta be fine-- it'll live out its lifespan and not have reproduced.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
From what I recall, two weeks at 30 oughtta be fine-- it'll live out its lifespan and not have reproduced.
Hey thanks for the reply again, someone local who used to care for turtles has a heater not in use which can reach 34C
So maybe until the end of the week ?
Old 04-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply again, someone local who used to care for turtles has a heater not in use which can reach 34C
So maybe until the end of the week ?
Sounds like a plan. Then once the week's up, I'd do a 100% water change, get your temp back to where your fish like it, and you should be good to go, but double check on the meds you used and it's recommendations on handling after treatment
Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Then once the week's up, I'd do a 100% water change, get your temp back to where your fish like it, and you should be good to go, but double check on the meds you used and it's recommendations on handling after treatment
I'm using eSHa EXIT that says it's not necessary to do water changes before and after so I'm going to take a guess I don't need to take any specific actions ?

My plan is to wait until next Monday, empty and remove the heater and contents. Make a bath of hot water and aquarium salt and give the inside multiple washdowns allowing it to dry and then setting it up the day after ?

Let me know if that sounds good
Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm using eSHa EXIT that says it's not necessary to do water changes before and after so I'm going to take a guess I don't need to take any specific actions ?

My plan is to wait until next Monday, empty and remove the heater and contents. Make a bath of hot water and aquarium salt and give the inside multiple washdowns allowing it to dry and then setting it up the day after ?

Let me know if that sounds good
Knock yourself out. I have planted tanks, so I've never gone that far with ich, but it wouldn't hurt. Do it that way, though, and you'll have to watch out for cycling issues, just fyi.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Knock yourself out. I have planted tanks, so I've never gone that far with ich, but it wouldn't hurt. Do it that way, though, and you'll have to watch out for cycling issues, just fyi.

The tank was bare bottom but thinking on having some substrate since my Oranda has been enjoying it in the QT tank. Prepared for cycling issues and have seachem stability at hand which I've had success with before this mess.

I live in Shanghai and getting plants is questionable, last time I brought some home there was snails on them so they didn't even make it into a tank !

Thanks for all the help and advice
Old 04-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem.

Plants and goldfish are hit and miss. I have a planted goldfish tank currently, but it's a pain to keep anything but the hardiest plants in there. They like to rearrange their tank, so things in the substrate have to be stubborn lol

My goldfish do like rooting around in the substrate for food.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
No problem.

Plants and goldfish are hit and miss. I have a planted goldfish tank currently, but it's a pain to keep anything but the hardiest plants in there. They like to rearrange their tank, so things in the substrate have to be stubborn lol

My goldfish do like rooting around in the substrate for food.
After a feed my lil guy is very excitedly rooting around in the substrate for any missed bits. Though recently I've been using a glass dish which keeps sinking pellets in, nothing special just a sanitized glass dish. It's been super handy in managing food from rotting under substrate, Pyke hasn't quite caught on yet but it keeps him busy

Tags
advice, ich, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com