Looking for an eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of Eel (if any) should I get?

• Don't get an eel!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Spotted

• Snowflake Moray

• Purple Spaghetti

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Oscillated Spiny

• Tiretrack

• Tiger

• Half-Banded Spiny

• Zig Zag

• Peacock

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (post in comments or PM me)

• Total voters

3x0t1c_331

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really want an eel for my tank, but I doubt I can have one. All my larger tanks are taken up by TONS of things DEFINITELY incompatible, and my smallest one is the only option. It's about 12-15 gallons, and has things in it at the moment and I'm not sure if it will work. I have:
*One baby 3-inch Pleco (who I will of course move when he gets big)
*Three Runny Noses who I've had for about as many years (I know the eel would eat them, so I would wait until they are gone)
*One abnormally large 2.5-inch Cory Cat
*One 3-Inch Leopard Fish
The water is quite clean and well oxygenated, and the Pleco handles 90% of the Algae. The one concern about the fish I do have is the Cory Cat-is 2.5 inches big enough? As for the terrain, I have three fake plants (I tried real ones and my fish avoided them entirely, but seem to love the fake ones) and two rocks. The gravel is more like fine white sand and surprisingly soft. And the tank is totally escape-proof. Trust me. What I'm looking for is any NON-BRACKISH eel, the smaller the better. I heard there were some tiny six-inch ones, but I haven't been able to find any of those. So my question is, should I consider an eel, and what kind? Or should I wait a few years for one of the big tanks to get freed up?:confused: PLEASE VOTE

On live aquaria all eels needed a minimum 100 gallons...

In my experience, Live Aquaria truly does exaggerate quite a lot. I used to have a four-gallon tank back when I first started, and I had three Cory Cats with NO PROBLEMS, and Live Aquaria says they need 10 gallons.

You could MAYBE try couple of khuli loaches...but you tank might not be big enough they might require a 20 long minimum...they aren't eel however they do sort of have an eelish body

In my experience, Live Aquaria truly does exaggerate quite a lot. I used to have a four-gallon tank back when I first started, and I had three Cory Cats with NO PROBLEMS, and Live Aquaria says they need 10 gallons.

That may be true but it can be exaggerating almost by 10x

Haha no way on earth can an eel go in a 15G.

At one place called Pet Kingdom, I saw two Snowflake Morays in a ~8 gallon tank. Shocking! But they seemed fine, and PK knows their stuff, so I thought, maybe ONE SMALLER eel in a ~2x as big tank could work.

At one place called Pet Kingdom, I saw two Snowflake Morays in a ~8 gallon tank. Shocking! But they seemed fine, and PK knows their stuff, so I thought, maybe ONE SMALLER eel in a ~2x as big tank could work.
Juvies, since those get up to 2 feet. Pet shop tanks are always overstocked and almost all juvies so what you see there is not really relevant to how we keep the fish at home.

U in San Diego????? I saw them too and am going to get one eventually

Cory cats should live to be about 15 years old so if they died then there were obviously some problems. Some fish are exaggerated on live aquaria but then again most aren't. There aren't any eels that should go in a tank that size.

Again. They are brackish eels that can live in freshwater

Someone just state the poster can have a peacock eel or something, it's what they're waiting to hear despite all the other opinions.

You could MAYBE try couple of khuli loaches...but you tank might not be big enough they might require a 20 long minimum...they aren't eel however they do sort of have an eelish body
My tank is about 25 long I believe. I KNOW it's more than 24.

Someone just state the poster can have a peacock eel or something, it's what they're waiting to hear despite all the other opinions.
I don't like Peacock Eels actually... dunno who said that. I just wanna consider the options, I heard about Peacock Eels, I just put them on there. They're not my first choice, but I have ZERO Eel experience, so I just want to know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom