looking for compatible eel/ropefish/similar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the midst of stocking a 29g tank, sorta mangrove in appearance on the left (faux mangrove stump, faux seagrape against back glass, live anacharis and java fern intermixed), small clearing in middle, and sorta off-seashore on right (a couple dead/dried staghorn coral, valisneria intermixed for turtle-grass effect, a few anacharis along back glass). It has a very cool look to it, extremely exagerated naturalistically but still very cool. currently I have 3 female fiddlers (they can exit the water from atop the faux mangrove), 5 rainbow (african I think but not 100%) and a few ghost shrimp wandering about. I currently have the salinity set at 1.002 but can raise or eliminate that based on final live stock selection.

To finish off the tank I am thinking about a few additions that maybe wont be so compatible with what I have. I have considered 3-4 dwarf puffers (I know, FW only). I dont think they would bother the crabs, dont care about the shrimp, and I think the rainbow would be ok. I have also consider 3-4 bumblebee goby, I think these and/or the puffer would complete the "seashore" scene. but mostly I am looking for some sorta eel/snake-like fish addition. I think something eel/snake-like would totally complete the mangrove effect and would also look good slithering thru the valisneria. problem is pretty much all of the FW eel and rope-fish would outgrow the 29g and would probably have the current inhabitants as lunch. Too bad as especially the ropefish would look so awesome in the left-side forest I currently have setup. I am looking for something similar to either species that would attain max of maybe 12", be fine in 29g, and at least leave the rainbow alone (shrimp/crabs can be considered expendable in extreme case). I have yet to find anything that would work for me... I really want something "slithery" but just cant find anything.

perhaps I will just go for a few kuhli loaches but they are just so small and secretive :-(

Patrick

:D Perhaps Fruitbat can help you here!!! He's written an excellent profile on polypterus senegalis in the profile section. Check it out.

That is one of the fish I had also considered strongly. I was concerned though about the adult size (12-15" minimum? and they need probably 50g minimum?) and possibly my rainbow dissapearing when he approaches that size.

Patrick

I've been thinking about what kind of 'eel' you could add to a tank with the parameters you list.

Rope fish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus) should do OK in a 29 gallon for quite some time. Though I've personally owned one of these fish that reached 24inches, the vast majority of Rope fish don't get much over 12-18 inches and it takes them a while to reach that size. There are, of course, the Mastacembelid 'eels' like fire eels, tire-track eels, etc. The only problem with them...besides their massive adult size (up to 36 inches in many cases) is that they won't spend a whole lot of time 'slithering thru the vallisneria'...rather they'll burrow into the gravel and stay there with only their heads making any appearance.

The dragon goby (also knows as the violet goby), Gobioides broussonetti, has a number of drawbacks....one of which is its eventual size (over 24 inches) and secondly the fact that it is primarily a filter feeder...taking mouthfuls of gravel and filtering out anything edible. They have a tendency to be 'sensitive' in anything less than brackish conditions.

The dojo loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus or Misgurnus fossilis might be 'snaky' enough for you and they wouldn't outgrow your 29 gallon. They do have a disturbing tendency toward having 'mad minutes' every so often where they thrash wildly around the aquarium.

Kuhli loaches are beautiful fish but, like the 'eels', have a tendency to disappear in an aquarium and only become really active at night after the lights are off.

Personally I wouldn't try to keep any of the larger Polypterids in a 29 gallon tank for life. Besides....you're probably right about the eventual disappearance of your Rainbows (and the shrimp certainly wouldn't last long either).

Your best choice, I think, would be the Rope fish. It might not be overjoyed with the salt content of the water but you mentioned that was a negotiable parameter. I just can't think of any other 'slithery' fish right off the top of my head. Oh...Rope fish are escape EXPERTS so, should you choose this fish, you'll need to securely close up every possible avenue of escape from your aquarium.

Thank you for your reply and information

a "slithering beast" is not so much a requirement just an idea, something to kinda "complete" the tank. kuhli's would be a last resort to that effect as they wouldnt be seen too much anyways.

I have owned 3 marine snow-flake eels and therefore have experience with 2 of the 3 escaping, one of which was found too late. that would definitely be a concern with a rope-fish. also I would be concerned about future growth. I am somewhat limited to the 29g for now and short-term future. I'm pretty sure the rainbow would be safe with him but would he bother the fiddlers - or vise-versa? as females their rather defenseless.

I will also look into the dojo loach though the thrashing would be a concern - wouldnt want him "upsetin' me perty tank"... would there be compatibility issues with the dojo? my initial research shows they are very community friendly and given a "low protein" diet would grow 8-10"?

thanks again for your current (and future) help...

Patrick

There should be no compatibility issues with the Dojo...though it might occasionally rearrange a piece or two, especially when it gets to full size. Still....they're pretty good scavengers and would do a fairly good job of filling the 'slithering' part.

Back
Top Bottom