Looking for Ideal Small Driftwood to Anchor Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stooker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, looking for the best type and source (ebay, aquabid, e-retailer, etc.) for smaller pieces of driftwood to anchor plants (not for decoration). Would Malaysian driftwood be ideal for this since it is heavy and light on the tannins? I'm not looking for a large centerpiece to put plants on, just smaller chips/pieces to tie java fern and other plants to. I will probably bury most of the wood in the take substrate anyways... any other ideas welcome.

Edit: I guess I'll add the reasoning behind this is so that I can easliy move plants around whenever I want if/when I rescape my aquarium. I'd rather not have a bunch of plants on one large piece of driftwood.

Hi all, looking for the best type and source (ebay, aquabid, e-retailer, etc.) for smaller pieces of driftwood to anchor plants (not for decoration). Would Malaysian driftwood be ideal for this since it is heavy and light on the tannins? I'm not looking for a large centerpiece to put plants on, just smaller chips/pieces to tie java fern and other plants to. I will probably bury most of the wood in the take substrate anyways... any other ideas welcome.

If you live near a river that's usually a great place to get some drift wood. That's where I get most of mine.

If you live near a river that's usually a great place to get some drift wood. That's where I get most of mine.

No rivers around here. How about landscaping stuff? I looked into using mesquite, but I guess since it has resins that's a no go...

I want a simple, safe and easy to acquire solution preferably without requiring long soaks, boiling for hours, etc.

No rivers around here. How about landscaping stuff? I looked into using mesquite, but I guess since it has resins that's a no go...

I want a simple, safe and easy to acquire solution preferably without requiring long soaks, boiling for hours, etc.

As long as the wood has been weathered a long time and isn't rotting then it's good to use. It's moist here so any wood I find that hasn't been soaking in a body of water is pretty rotted. If you live in a dried climate then you should just be able to find some on the ground outside. There's really no reason to have to buy it.

As long as the wood has been weathered a long time and isn't rotting then it's good to use. It's moist here so any wood I find that hasn't been soaking in a body of water is pretty rotted. If you live in a dried climate then you should just be able to find some on the ground outside. There's really no reason to have to buy it.

Got it! Appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look around next time I'm on a hike.

Back
Top Bottom