Looking for some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adrien765

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a well established(4 months) 75 gallon tank. I perviously had a 110 gallon tank. I currently run two canister filters on my tank. One is filled with bio media and the other is filled with polyester that polishes my water. Ever since I have been doing the whole "tank" thing(3 years now) I have never used any sort of carbon, amonia remover, or anything of that nature and have never had any issues. I do regular weekly water changes that go from weeks 1-4 and starting with a 10% change in week one and ending with a 40% change in week 4. The only things I add to my water when conducting a water change are Seachem's Prime and a Stress coat. Now am I doing my fish a disservice by not running anything else in my filters? They seem happy. Never had any sickness issues and the fish seem to like it the way it is.

Nope, there's no need to run that other stuff as a normal course of action. Also, with prime there's no need to dose seperate stress coat either, although I doubt it harms anything.

I say you are doing just fine. No need to change anything.

sweet.......thanks. I was just wondering because I am on here a lot, and I am always reading about people running all these different "things" in the water and through there filters

sweet.......thanks. I was just wondering because I am on here a lot, and I am always reading about people running all these different "things" in the water and through there filters

The only thing that is really of any use is Activated Carbon, and only after medicating the aquarium for disease to remove the leftover medication. Heck, a well maintained aquarium won't run into disease very often either, so buying Activated Carbon should be a rare event too. The rest just puts money into the seller's pockets, since they are unnecessary in a well maintained aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom