Looking for some ideas for my 220g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol breeding pair of arrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwwaaaaaaaannnnaaaaa! I know it's hard to do but you can do it!

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol breeding pair of arrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwwaaaaaaaannnnaaaaa! I know it's hard to do but you can do it!

Are you ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgive me if I comment on this topic, but I like the fish in question and would love to own one someday. Most of the Arrawana I see in lfs are not that big, but my Asian lfs has an amazing selection, and his prized Arrawana are by themselves. I watch a show called River monsters , a guy who goes all over the world to catch these monster fish, makes you wonder sometimes the actual size of these River monsters ? Not sure how to keep them for now , but not sure how they are with plants and other specie's ?
When I move I'll plan my tank room , with this fish in mind . I wish you the best in your Aquarium build and would love to see the results when you're done. By the way we can only learn here and we make mistakes as I do everyday, but all we can do in this hobby is learn , share, and have fellow respect for all peoples , no one is rite or wrong!!! We just have to see the bigger picture , the " good " that fish keepers actually do, an appreciation for nature and preservation of fish !!! [emoji622]

Clem.

Well guys I don't think I'll be doing the breeding pair lol. Like I said i am go from reef tank to freshwater to have less work. Breeding fish will not lower my work load.

Denison barbs, clown loaches and few angels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually, with the breeding Arowana suggestion... It most likely wont work. Based iff of several reasons, some of them aren't fixable...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

"It is believed that magnetic variations strongly affect the breeding of the Arowana"

-Arowana.co.uk

Further research on my part seems to say that the magnetic influence is best for Arowana breeding close the the equator. This is the problem that you cant really control... It isn't necessarily the key to breeding, but it does have an impact.

The article also hoes on to talk about how large spaces are needed, that should be obvious.

Also, Arowana sometimes pair for life and sometimes don't, meaning that it can be very difficult to find a reliable pair to breed together.

Not to mention that it is a push just to fit a single Aro in a 220, with tankmates. 2 of them is asking for a lot of trouble. And probably not tankmates either...

A growout tank of a bazillion gallons with really clean water and a heck if a string lid would be needed, not to mention the cost. Weekly food alone would be a fortune, between growing out the young healthily and getting good colors...

So in short: move to Asia, get a few ponds and some big nets and a bunch of cultures of a lot of types of food... And them you might break even in a few years.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

the Blue Acara are an amazing idea. I love the color and look and they will fit perfect with the other fish it seems. my trouble will be finding them large enough but I think I am going to struggle with that acrossed the board at first because of the size of the Aro. Those are better looking then any other the other ones I have thought of.

1x Silver Aro
1x Red Tiger Oscar
4x Blue Acara
6x Geophagus Altfrons
1x Catfish
1x Wood Eating pleco, What are some other ideas? a 3" royal is almost 80$ that may be more then I want to spend on one.

do you guys think i should do plants? Maybe some really big amazon sword plants and things like that?

Clown Pleco is a smaller, cheaper alternative.

Plants wont usually work with Cichlids, especially Eatheaters... Most SA/CA Cichlids are diggers, and since they are big it is a struggle to keep anything rooted...

This guy! Lol

Attachments

• 1442894983497.jpg
    1442894983497.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 59
Well I am not sure what I want to do at this point.

My 220g tank also has was used to be a fag tank thats a 24x24x12 rimless cube conntected to it that displayed right next to it with a Metalhalide over it. I am thinking of doing a planted tank with the cube and doing a pair of GBR and some cardinal tetras or something like that and then having the big tank be mostly diftwood and maybe some big amazon swords or something. I cant really see a 220g as a great planted tank just because of its depth and the fish I want to keep in it I am sure would mess the plants up all the time.

Well I am not sure what I want to do at this point.

My 220g tank also has was used to be a fag tank thats a 24x24x12 rimless cube conntected to it that displayed right next to it with a Metalhalide over it. I am thinking of doing a planted tank with the cube and doing a pair of GBR and some cardinal tetras or something like that and then having the big tank be mostly diftwood and maybe some big amazon swords or something. I cant really see a 220g as a great planted tank just because of its depth and the fish I want to keep in it I am sure would mess the plants up all the time.

If you want planted just do a bunch of root feeders like crypts and swords as you mentioned.

With Mebbids DIY root tabs you could have a nice planted tank and not be running through bottles of liquid ferts.

Caleb

If you want planted just do a bunch of root feeders like crypts and swords as you mentioned.

With Mebbids DIY root tabs you could have a nice planted tank and not be running through bottles of liquid ferts.

Caleb

oh I always used dry ferts in my 75g and it was super cheap to do. I would probably just do that still. Plants i am more thinking about doing in the 30g cube thats next to it. the only issue is it shares the water volume with the 220g and 40g sump so i would have to fertilize all of the water for the 30g planted tank.

I was thinking of doing some big swords and stuff in the 220g

Back
Top Bottom