Looking for something unusual....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to add something unusual and somewhat large to my 125 community tank. Everything I've though about so far would be too aggressive. Any suggestions? It doesn't necessarily have to be a fish!

Angels, bala sharks, neons, black skirts, clown loaches, common pleco, two GBR, and two dwarf gourami.

I thought the same thing, but since adding my bala's they've completely left them alone because it's such a large school.

Hmm. It's going to be a bit hard to find an oddball that will leave the neons alone.
I was going to suggest bichirs, knifefish, spiny eels, stuff like that.
A hoplo or two might work with your setup. A blue lobster could be cool if you wanted to go for a larger invert. I don't have any experience with them but I know a lot of people on here have them.

A cray would be a bad idea IMO, unless you just don't mind the risk of losing fish. I can't think of any invert that would work in there. Do you want more schools or more CP type fish or what?

I was thinking about a black knife fish. My LFS has a nice sized one. What's a hopolo? And what do you mean by CP?

I thought of an African Butterfly fish. but again, I think it would eat your neons.
Maybe a few larger killis of some sort, but again, I think the bigger ones would eat your neons.
Paradise fish? Not super uncommon, but not exactly common. They come in awesome colors.

You are limited by the neons. Maybe you can move them out to a smaller tank, if you have another one around?

I know a few people with black knives and neons. They say they are really not aggressive like the browns. Idk though. I've heard alot about paradise fish but I never see them in my area. I think what I'm going to have to do is try something out and if doesn't work, I'll start over. Anyone have experience with discus?

Yeah, I've got a 20L lying around somewhere. I might just move them there. I'm really not that attached to them so losing them wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Yeah, I've got a 20L lying around somewhere. I might just move them there. I'm really not that attached to them so losing them wouldn't be that big of an issue.

If you don't really like them, perhaps you could just rehome them. I'm sure there are many people in your area that would love to have them. :)

Back
Top Bottom