Looking for staple attraction for a 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Idaho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10 gallon tank had its first fatality about 2 months in as my male kribensis has passed. Now my tank is currently stocked with 5 zebra danios, 2 long finned, 2 short finned, and one golden one. The tank also has a sad female krib, a juvie bristlenose pleco, and 2 ghost shrimp.
I am going to ask the pet store if theyd like the female krib back as I am starting to guess that 10 gallons just wasnt enough to sustain all that life regardless of how much effort I put into maintaining it.
Once the female krib is out of the tank I will be looking for another staple type fish that will get the aquarium attention from people other than myself. Any advice is welcome, thank you!

My 10 gallon tank had its first fatality about 2 months in as my male kribensis has passed. Now my tank is currently stocked with 5 zebra danios, 2 long finned, 2 short finned, and one golden one. The tank also has a sad female krib, a juvie bristlenose pleco, and 2 ghost shrimp.
I am going to ask the pet store if theyd like the female krib back as I am starting to guess that 10 gallons just wasnt enough to sustain all that life regardless of how much effort I put into maintaining it.
Once the female krib is out of the tank I will be looking for another staple type fish that will get the aquarium attention from people other than myself. Any advice is welcome, thank you!

I'm sorry to say, but none of those fish are suited to live in a ten gallon. Zebra danios need a 20-30g tank since they are just so active. A bristle nose Pleco also needs a 20-30g because it reaches six inches and has a heavy bioload. If you rehomed all of them, you could do:
OPTION 1:
a betta
Some shrimp and snails

OPTION 2:
2 dwarf puffers

OPTION 3:
A sparkling gourami
6 chilli rasboras
4 Pygmy cories

OPTION 4:
a pair of badis badis
6 celestial pearl danios
Shrimp

OPTION 5:
Shrimp

Plecco is still a juvie, size isnt an issue, and once it becomes a problem I will have a 55g up and running.
I do appreciate the advice, but I dont think that I need more than a 10 for my 5 danios, they are both happy and healthy right now.
I do water changes every week, and whenever necessary, my water conditions meet the requirements of all the fish in the tank.

They just dont have enough room, danios are fast and wont be able to stretch their fins before hitting glass. It doesnt make for healthy danios. You should always do alittle research on their needs before buying any fish.

Put them in a 10gallon if want because we cant stop you, but its just not suitable for these fish. Alot of people use the expression 'im getting a bigger tank in afew month' heard it all before and maybe you are. Why.not get suitable fish for the 10, that can then be added to the 55 along with the ones that arnt suitable for the 10 gallon at the moment

Plecco is still a juvie, size isnt an issue, and once it becomes a problem I will have a 55g up and running.
I do appreciate the advice, but I dont think that I need more than a 10 for my 5 danios, they are both happy and healthy right now.
I do water changes every week, and whenever necessary, my water conditions meet the requirements of all the fish in the tank.

Think of zebra danios as an extremely, extremely active dog. You wouldn't get a dog like that if you only had a small studio apartment for it to live in, right? It's similar for zebra danios. Unfortunately 10 gallons is only really suitable for nano fish. Samtzer's recommendations are really good, so maybe you could rehome your current stock and go with fish better suited for a 10g. We're not trying to criticize, just want to give you good advice in the best interests of your fishy friends.

Think of zebra danios as an extremely, extremely active dog. You wouldn't get a dog like that if you only had a small studio apartment for it to live in, right? It's similar for zebra danios. Unfortunately 10 gallons is only really suitable for nano fish. Samtzer's recommendations are really good, so maybe you could rehome your current stock and go with fish better suited for a 10g. We're not trying to criticize, just want to give you good advice in the best interests of your fishy friends.
I do thank all of you for the help, and am trying to do everything I can on a college students budget. I paid a visit to a local Angel breeder to ask him about my aquarium stock. He told me that the bristlenose should be okay and if he becomes an issue when hes a little older I can just switch him to my 55. I am concerned about the danios being in a tank thats too small. However after seeing my danios he agreed that they looked both happy and healthy. Unfortunately I cant upgrade another tank, or I would definitely get that for my fish, but for now they will have to stay in the 10.

Back
Top Bottom