Looking for Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I am currently looking for some advice on tank stockings. The first tank is a 30 gallon with a Aquaclear 70 filter system. The substrate is sand, although I am slowly trying to change it to a rock/glass pebble substrate that will not injure my cories. The tank has about 7 different plants in it, as well as driftwood. The tank is currently stocked with 2 angelfish, 4 tetras, 4 cories, 2 kuhli loches, 3 nerite snails and one clown pleco. I am looking for another stocking option that is more colorful and flashy that will be compatible with the other fish currently housed in the aquarium. I am highly interested in cherry bards and thread fin rainbow fish, but am looking for other suggestions. I was considering a dwarf gouranami, but I know they can sometimes be aggressive. I was also wondering how rams would do in the tank? I also want to restock the kuhli loaches up to at least three but possibly five, introduce another cory, and add one more tetra to make their numbers 5.

Unfortunately, this leads to my next issue. The two angelfish have begun to fight with each other and it has caused the silver one to develop minor injuries, as well as made the other fish more shy of coming out. I am going to attempt to move the silver one to my 13 gallon tall aquarium. It is unfortunately, the largest size I have available. It is the same height as a 20 gallon, but the width of a 10. I know angels prefer larger, but considering the height of the tank I think it will be fine. I was not sure if I should try stocking that tank with other fish other than the angel, or leaving him by himself. Thanks!

Personally I'd sell the other angel. They really do need a bigger tank than 13.

Once you bump up your schools I wouldn't add much more.

If you want a peaceful gourami look at Honeys. They are a bit smaller than dwarf and very peaceful.

Where did you hear about sand injuring cories? It's actually preferred over gravel as gravel *can* damage barbels. Kuhli loaches especially appreciate sand.

Caleb

I'm sorry, miscommunication, I meant that I was trying to change from the sand substrate to a rock or smooth glass pebble substrate. I am looking for one that will not damage the cories with rough edges, ect. I know they prefer sand, that was my initial reason for using it. I am just having a hard time figuring out how to properly maintain it. I clean frequently, but keep getting planaria so my only guess is that I am not cleaning the sand well enough and I would like to change to something I am more familiar with.

Sand can be pretty easily cleaned by hovering a vacuum over the waste. If the waste is heavy, try swirling the siphon to kick it up. Live plants can also help utilize waste as fertilizer.

Of course, your bottom feeders will also help keep it clean.

Caleb

I've tried that and still had no luck. I never had the problem until I starter using sand. I may see if I can find another type of sand and see if that works better, but until then any other suggestions? I was also wondering if overcrowding the tank a bit would help with the angels aggression. I've heard of some cases in which it has made things better. I also moved around the driftwood some to try to break up territories. It seems the silver angel now has the upper hand in the aquarium and the fighting has deceased some, but I still think it would be best to either regime the silver angel or move him to the 13 tall tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom