looking for suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and here's my algae eater Anna.

View attachment 118284

I do believe this is a chinese algae eater.

I went into the local fish store to purchase some Siamese algae eaters for my tank and was mistakenly sold these fellas instead.

They are often mistakes as SAE or the flying fox. There are differences though if you google them you can get an idea.

They will grow to be rather large and are actually pretty nasty little guys so I would suggest doing some research to see if they will be ok in your tank long term.

for the DW I suggest boiling it, or if you have a dish washer then run it on an empty cycle. Just be sure yours doesn't have any rinse agents.

The boiling water will not only release tannins from it but lower the time it takes to water log it.

If it's too big to boil then I'd suggest putting it in a bucket and pouring boiling water over it. This will at least be sure to kill anything growing on the outside.

You can also soak it in a bucket for a few days/weeks or if you have something heavy enough in your tank you can tie it on and weigh it down.

Well. Boiled it. Currently looking for a bucket to soak it in. How long does that take on average?

depends on the type of wood and size really. I've had pieces that only needed to be boiled for a few hours and were waterlogged enough to go in the tank. I've currently got a large chunk of wood that's been soaking in my laundry room sink for about 3 weeks and is still floating. :(

If it fits in a pot well enough I def suggest boiling it for a long period of time. This is the fastest method. Soaking in a bucket could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom