Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking for suggestions on tank mates

I have not added any fish or changed anything about my tanks in a very long time. However, my tanks are feeling a tad empty and I think I might like to get some new guys.

35g hex
3 decent size angels at about 2 inches from dorsal to pelvic fin
29g
4 yellow labs at 1.5-2.5"

I'm looking for colorful and fun tank mates for both of these tanks. I'm sort of scared of aggressive fish, however. Id' hate to see anything happen to these fish since I've had them for some time. Currently jewels and blue zebras may be available to me. Would either of these fish work?

38g
Community tank with with mostly cardinals, rummy nose, a loach (Botia histrionica), and the hidden pleco and upside down catfish.

My beloved keyhole passed away a few months back. I'm kind of looking for maybe a pair of big fish to be the stars. Ooo, discus would be pretty! :P

BTW, I don't do anything to alter the chemistry of my water. I probably should but I never did understand how to keep it constant so I've always stuck with the water I have and the fish have been healthy and stable for a good while so it seems to be working. However, if adding coral substrate would be better I suppose I'd be willing to try it. I just don't really want to fix what aint broke.

Thanks!

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Criptos
For the 35gal hex with angels get some Glowlight Tetras.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1583

Don't know much about labs or much about the other fish, But the Glowlights are very nice fish with the angels and I have had no problems what so ever with mine.

And for the 38gal community maybe 2 more of the same kind of loach you already have.

3 Angels
2 Red Flame Dwarf Gouramis
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
MORE COMING SOON
Criptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Either the 35 or 29 could work well with some corydoras. I especially like the pandas and the albino corys. They are very fun and although bottem dwellers they do swim the whole tank a bit and often rush to surface for air.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm a little concerned about tetras with the angels cause they're aggressive fish. They spar with each other all the time and it looks brutal. Maybe they couldn't fit them in their mouths if I got big enough tetras, lol. I just don't want to stress them to death

The cory's are a good idea! I like Corydoras adolfoi. Right now, the Labidochromis caeruleus are really timid and hiding in plants all the time. I'd like to see some activity!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

As far as I understand, larger tetras are OK with angels. However, the smaller tetras (neons and I assume glowlights as well), will eventually become a snack.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
You might look at bloodfin tetras, or something like that. Maybe the black phantoms?
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good ideas

What about other cichlids?

Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
harlequin rasboras are good tankmates for angelfish..
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
harlequin rasboras are good tankmates for angelfish..
Ditto. My thoughts exactly. I have a school of Harlequins with my angels, and they are amazing togethers. The Harlequins are full of color too, and beautiful when they school.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I would avoid adding any cichlids to your cichlid tanks, since they are relatively small and the territory is going to be battled over.

For your lab tank I'd recommend some rosy barbs, or even tiger barbs to act as dithers (tank might be a bit small for tiger barbs, though) and you will be amazed at how the labs come out with dithers present. If you have praecox rainbows available these would work very well also. They are all tough enough to hold their own against the Africans, and will not threaten the territory of the cichlids. Another option for a barb-like fish that is tough but does not get very large would be serpae tetras, if you like the yellow/red combo.

For the 38 you could get a larger gourami as a feature fish, or a pair of rams, or even more keyholes.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions, tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com