looking for water movement advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for some advice on my 110g TALL tank.
Dimensions 29"H X 48"W X 18"D
semi planted community tank. (angels, gouramis, tetras, plecos, loaches)

I have two fluval 404 filters with their jets at the top left and right of the tank with both pointing towards the center front glass. For those that may not be aware I can adjust the power output, but they are on full right now.

I have two more kdor 115GPH water pumps on the left and right walls of the tank both facing inward towards each other. They are mounted all the way to the back near the bottom. I can also adjust the power output of these, but they are currently on full as wel.

Is this too much water movement? It seems there may be quite a bit in the front center of the tank which is causing the fish to mostly hang out on the left and right sides. I would like to try to encourage more center area swimming. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

Do my placements and settings seem good for this tank?

TIA

I don't know about the water movements, but most fish live in streams with a fair amount of movement, so my guess is it is going to depend on the fish's natural habitat.

Anyway, that is a beautiful setup. What kind of wood did you use to get it to sink?

Tony Starks said:
I don't know about the water movements, but most fish live in streams with a fair amount of movement, so my guess is it is going to depend on the fish's natural habitat.

Anyway, that is a beautiful setup. What kind of wood did you use to get it to sink?

thank you..

It's "Malaysian" drift wood I purchased from my LFS.

I took a peak at your tank. I like it! When you have the nozzles pointed from the back, towards the front, It seems that you tend to get a strong current along the surface that hits the front glass and follows it down. A few inches away from the front glass the current is much milder. I bet if you play with the nozzles, you can find a set up you like. If they are 45 degrees or more towards the front, I bet the center tank will be smooth sailing. If you put them all the way in the corner the opposing currents will be weaker when they clash, causing less turbulence. The logical extension of this is both nozzels in the center, pointed at opposite ends. By the time the seperate currents wind around to meet, the turbulence will be reduced. You need fish swimmin around to really tell. Plus you can change it around periodically, the fish equivalent of rearranging the house!

TomK2 said:
I took a peak at your tank. I like it! When you have the nozzles pointed from the back, towards the front, It seems that you tend to get a strong current along the surface that hits the front glass and follows it down. A few inches away from the front glass the current is much milder. I bet if you play with the nozzles, you can find a set up you like. If they are 45 degrees or more towards the front, I bet the center tank will be smooth sailing. If you put them all the way in the corner the opposing currents will be weaker when they clash, causing less turbulence. You need fish swimmin around to really tell. Plus you can change it around periodically, the fish equivalent of rearranging the house!

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try as you suggest, changing the direction, then try maybe moving them all the way to the corner if that doesn't work quite right.

Oh, BTW, My tank is set up just like yours is now. There is a turbulent area in the center that the danios and tetras don't mind, but the angels hate crossing it. Since I have one bully and one timid angel, the center turbulence gives them a my side - your side view of the tank that is keeping the peace. A kind of divider for the angels!

you might have missed my edit, seing as you were replying while I was editing :p : both nozzles in the center pointing at opposite ends and not crossing each other would give little turbulence too. Have fun playing with the nozzles. If no fish, put something small and floaty in and watch what happens to it. If you really want to diffuse the current, replace a nozzle with a spray bar, and orient the spray bar vertically in the tank, pointing to the futherr end. You end up with a nice gentle current that circles the tank. I guess the possibilities are endless.

I really like what you are saying about the division of the angels.. Since I plan on getting some for this tank I think that's a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom