Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Loose Guppy

I just got 30-40 guppy today for free on Craigslist and all the female are pregnant and wondering if i can just leave the fry with them since they're already living with their fry and not eating them. Can i start a new gene too? Most of the guppy are blank (No COLOR) Like full red , black , blue and ect...ect.. but how long will that take?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you leave the fry in there they might get eaten also about the gene thing just let the fish do the work

Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Breeding guppies is a very difficult thing to do properly. You are going to need at least 8 tanks to create your own strain. I would start with some well bred stock if anything. 30 - 40 guppies is a huge number to start with, I would start culling now if you are planning on a strain. I would also suggest getting a clear idea of exactly what you want as far as finished looks go i.e. Tail shape, tail color, and body color.

As far as the time it will take, I would expect a large modification to a strain to take at minimum 1-2 years.

Tags
guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com