Loose Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbreeder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 30-40 guppy today for free on Craigslist and all the female are pregnant and wondering if i can just leave the fry with them since they're already living with their fry and not eating them. Can i start a new gene too? Most of the guppy are blank (No COLOR) Like full red , black , blue and ect...ect.. but how long will that take? :fish2:

If you leave the fry in there they might get eaten also about the gene thing just let the fish do the work

Breeding guppies is a very difficult thing to do properly. You are going to need at least 8 tanks to create your own strain. I would start with some well bred stock if anything. 30 - 40 guppies is a huge number to start with, I would start culling now if you are planning on a strain. I would also suggest getting a clear idea of exactly what you want as far as finished looks go i.e. Tail shape, tail color, and body color.

As far as the time it will take, I would expect a large modification to a strain to take at minimum 1-2 years.

Back
Top Bottom