Losing the pond snail battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Daaang these things are a MENACE. I pick them out ANY TIME I see them. But at this point they just keep coming and coming. I can tell we are losing this battle.

What on EARTH do you guys do??

I could go with small loaches (which ones are they, zebra or yoyo that eat snails, need to google) - we have no ground dwellers since we lost all of our cories to a disease. But I really would rather have the cories and I hear that the loaches can be rather annoying tankmates and cories would not fit well with them.

What are some other options for pond snail control?? It seems obvious i cannot control every source of eggs.

It is possible but it's not very common especially if there is an abundance of pond snails for the assassins to eat. I keep assassins with nerites and only on one occasion did I see one going after a nerite. I'm not quite sure about the smaller nerites though like the horned varieties. Also I'd recommend trying some DIY snail traps along with the typical reduce feeding, clean algae off glass, etc.

righto, I thought of assassin snails right off but was just worried my nerites would be in danger (although I find them to largely be a menace as well, so maybe I don't care)

I do have excellent tank maintenance and feed very conservatively, but the stupid pond snails just keep hatching. I pull out 3-5 per day, which maybe is not THAT many, I just figure that it's going to be an exponential problem.

I particularly have a problem with them in the sump, where eggs get caught in my filter trays and then they hatch in the side of the sump that I can't easily access. I remove probably 10 a day from the sump and they can't get up to the main display, but I still worry about being overrun down there.
I think a couple assassins in the sump and then 1 or 2 in the main display might keep it all under control.

Thank you!

righto, I thought of assassin snails right off but was just worried my nerites would be in danger (although I find them to largely be a menace as well, so maybe I don't care)

I do have excellent tank maintenance and feed very conservatively, but the stupid pond snails just keep hatching. I pull out 3-5 per day, which maybe is not THAT many, I just figure that it's going to be an exponential problem.

I particularly have a problem with them in the sump, where eggs get caught in my filter trays and then they hatch in the side of the sump that I can't easily access. I remove probably 10 a day from the sump and they can't get up to the main display, but I still worry about being overrun down there.
I think a couple assassins in the sump and then 1 or 2 in the main display might keep it all under control.

Thank you!

I would let them breed a bit more tbh Jen before using assassins. This will give them plenty of food for a couple of months at least. I definitely recommend them for getting rid of pond snails though.

I don't think they will bother your nerites either, especially if there's plenty of pond snails to go at. My 2 had a baby :)

You think I should let the pond snails take over on purpose for a while? Hubby is going to LOVE that idea lol... He freaks out every time he sees one

I suspect I could still use a single one in the sump right now at least; I picked out all the snails I saw yesterday and just peeked in and there are at least a dozen.

You think I should let the pond snails take over on purpose for a while? Hubby is going to LOVE that idea lol... He freaks out every time he sees one

I suspect I could still use a single one in the sump right now at least; I picked out all the snails I saw yesterday and just peeked in and there are at least a dozen.

Yes, I let mine build up. Kept my assassins happy for about 2-3 months then there were just no pond snails at all.

On a similar track, do assassins also eat MTS's? I have pond snails and MTS but don't want the MTS eaten. Any ideas?
Sorry to hijack your thread Threnjen :)

I think the yo yo loaches got rid of the pond snails. I saw one decamping over the tank glass and then they all vanished.

Now I just need something to train the loaches lol.

However I have a new cone shaped snail (not sure what it is) which the loaches totally ignore so I've sacked them.

How many nerites do you have? take them out from the tank and put them in a temporary tank, throw in the assasins, and wait for it to be over. Then, you could somehow put the assasins somewhere else, and put the nerites back in.

HI Thren, I hope my experience with snail invasion will help you.
I got a major infestation of pond and trumpet snails in my 29g six months ago. I mean thousands! I bought six assassins and they helped some slowly. They also left my Zebra Nerites completely alone. I asked Rivercats what to do and she recommended Dwarf Chain Loaches from The Wet Spot in Portland OR. I got two. They were kind of expensive but they not only totally wiped out the snails in three months but they left my Nerites alone and now sift around for tidbits just like my Corys. They only get 2 - 2.5 inches full grown and are really fun little fish to watch. They aren't as shy as some loaches and swim around and behave a lot like Corys. For snail control and interest as well as staying small I am really positive about them. OS.

Hijack away, ScotJudd :) Although I don't know the answer to your question!

Delapool the cone ones sound like MTS (malaysian trumpet snails)? Maybe? I like those guys

Fishguy, I have maybe a dozen nerites. Honestly though I hate them, maybe I should just take them back to the store. I am not sure i would grieve if the smaller ones got assassinated... I'm a terrible person.

Old Scales that is interesting! Especially since the Wet Spot is local to me :) I hadn't heard of dwarf chain loaches before. Maybe I will look into those instead of assassins.

IF you aren't that fond of snails(I'm the same) Then the DCL's will be something I bet you will enjoy. I have only two but I read that when there are 4 or more they really put on a show. OH Gosh! If The Wet Spot was local to me I'd have tanks all over the house and be in BIG trouble. LOL. OS.

IF you aren't that fond of snails(I'm the same) Then the DCL's will be something I bet you will enjoy. I have only two but I read that when there are 4 or more they really put on a show. OH Gosh! If The Wet Spot was local to me I'd have tanks all over the house and be in BIG trouble. LOL. OS.

OS I tought you had tanks all over your house anyway lol jk

Ray:ROFLMAO:

I had military force of pond snails when I was started the 130g. They came from a fish farm where i got my FW plants. I was moving the cichlids over to their new home but by that time the pond snails took over 130g. I didnt mind...Needless to say that the first day the cichlid moved into the 130g they has a feast. Within that week, I saw a few only in the sump. Now & then I will see 3-4 in the sump, but never in the main aquarium cause if they go to the main tank it's game over.

Back
Top Bottom