Lost 2 panda cory :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I did a 50% water change yesterday and noticed today that 2 of the pandas were missing can't find them anywhere so I'm assuming they have died and been eaten. Also one of the mystery snails had died too alls that was left was he empty shell :( I have no idea what happened everything has been steady and the same. I haven't added anything else to the tank. Im thinking tomorrow first thing I'm going to remove the fish and give the tank an extra good gravel vac and clean. And rinse everything in boiling water. I should be fine doing that as I'll still have the same filter without causing a mini cycle yeah? And would it be overkill if I give the filter media a good rinse out with tank water? I love those little guys and feel terrible. Oh and I dont think it had anything to do with the water change itself as I did the other tank aswell temp was stable and used water conditioner. It might have happened the day before even without me noticing as the tanks in my sons room I check on the tank all the time but hadn't done a head count.

Laurie said:
Awww...I am so sorry. Pandas are so cute.

Thanks I know they are gorgeous I'll get more eventually when I've got whatever's going on under control. The four of them were always zipping around together now it's just he two of them poor things

I wouldn't rush out and start scrubbing and cleaning, that's just as likely to cause more problems than it'll solve.

Have you tested your water parameters recently? Panda Cories are incredibly frail so high nitrAtes could easily be responsible or it could just as easily have been one of those sad occurrences with fish :(

Either way if your tank is cycled and your parameters are fine, I'd be hesitant about doing any major cleaning of your tank or your filter.

Cynic said:
I wouldn't rush out and start scrubbing and cleaning, that's just as likely to cause more problems than it'll solve.

Have you tested your water parameters recently? Panda Cories are incredibly frail so high nitrAtes could easily be responsible or it could just as easily have been one of those sad occurrences with fish :(

Either way if your tank is cycled and your parameters are fine, I'd be hesitant about doing any major cleaning of your tank or your filter.

Yeah I tested everything and it's all fine and the tanks cycled. I'll test again tomorrow and do another water change and a gravel vac and leave it at that then

_skyla_ said:
Yeah I tested everything and it's all fine and the tanks cycled. I'll test again tomorrow and do another water change and a gravel vac and leave it at that then

Please can we have the exact readings? Your tank being overstocked may have had an impact. I'm not sure.

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 and ph 7 temp 25. Theres only the dwarf gourami and two platy in.there other than them oh and the snail its 13g

Wow that is spot on? What temp was the water which was being put in the tank at ? Have they been getting enough food

i used the hose the temp only dropped to 24.5 after the change and there definatley getting enough food i see them eat everytime i put food in which is twice a day and they get vege wafers aswell as the food the fish eat which is a variety so i really dont understand :/

I guess my question would be how often do you do a 50% water change. If that's the normal percentage that you take out, I guess that's fine, but I've had experiences where the fish have suffered from what I call "overcleaning" where the shock of cleaning so much of the nitrate/nitrite/ammonia (not to mention the bacteria) shocks some of the more sensitive species (and panda corydoras would definitely fall into that category), and they don't recover.

i usually only do 30% a week. I found out what happened though the stocking covering my filter intake came loose and i found them stuck inside :( so it wasnt my water or anything wrong with the params it was the stupid filter and my own sillyness :(. I found a little surprise tho a baby panda cory! it must have made it out of the eggs they laid after i first got them im amazed it survived i thought all the eggs were infertile. Ive decided to leave him in there since hes made it this long he should be ok i really hope.oh and hes escaped the dwarf gourami and platys tummy along with the 3 platy fry that made it

I'm torn as to whether that's sad or awesome.
Sad that the pandas died...
But good that you know it wasn't due to doing something you're supposed to (i.e. doing water changes).
And awesome that you had one of the more fragile species survive past the egg stage.

i know i am so sad about the pandas because they all seemed to be doing so well and im pretty onto the maintainence of my tanks so i was so confused but still feel horrible for the little guys. But the baby is extra special as it was a little miracle considering what happened. i still dont get how they sqeezed their way in and got stuck but all the babies didnt it was a small opening. i covered the intake with a sponge and made sure everything was secure. So ill get another 2 next week and hopefully they will all do great i do love pandas. Fingers crossed the little one keeps going strong and makes it to adulthood.

sorry for you loss

am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful babies ,I love Coris there such great lil fishies
Judy :(

Back
Top Bottom