Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lost a couple of fish, don't know why :(

Well, day before yesterday I dosed my aquarium with the first dose of excel, which recommends 5ml per 10 gallons for the first dose or after a big water change. Then it recommends 5ml per 60 gallons daily or every other day. I don't think I will ever add the high dose again because I lost a bolivian ram and a cory the day after I did a water change and added the big dose of excel.

Water parameters are excellent. Ammonia- 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate barely at 5-10ppm. (I had just done a water change, they were at 10-20ppm before the water change).

So my only thought is that, well sometimes I know fish die for no reason, but also perhaps the high dose of excel could've exacerbated an underlying condition. I do have hard water which has a relatively higher PH (7.6-7.8). The other fish all seem active and happy, but I am sad about the fish that I lost

Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole
Well, day before yesterday I dosed my aquarium with the first dose of excel, which recommends 5ml per 10 gallons for the first dose or after a big water change. Then it recommends 5ml per 60 gallons daily or every other day. I don't think I will ever add the high dose again because I lost a bolivian ram and a cory the day after I did a water change and added the big dose of excel.

Water parameters are excellent. Ammonia- 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate barely at 5-10ppm. (I had just done a water change, they were at 10-20ppm before the water change).

So my only thought is that, well sometimes I know fish die for no reason, but also perhaps the high dose of excel could've exacerbated an underlying condition. I do have hard water which has a relatively higher PH (7.6-7.8). The other fish all seem active and happy, but I am sad about the fish that I lost
I only dose 5 ml with flourish excel, and 5ml with an iron rich fert every sunday

Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

well mine is a 29 gallon, so I dosed the first dose of excel with 10 ML, which was less than the suggested 5ml per every 10 gallon initial dose. For subsequent dosing I can give 2.9ml daily, but I think I am only going to dose 2ml every other day to be safe. For the seachem flourish general fertilizer, I only dose 2.5 ml once a week after the water change, haven't had any issues with that.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com