Lost a couple of fish, don't know why :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, day before yesterday I dosed my aquarium with the first dose of excel, which recommends 5ml per 10 gallons for the first dose or after a big water change. Then it recommends 5ml per 60 gallons daily or every other day. I don't think I will ever add the high dose again because I lost a bolivian ram and a cory the day after I did a water change and added the big dose of excel.

Water parameters are excellent. Ammonia- 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate barely at 5-10ppm. (I had just done a water change, they were at 10-20ppm before the water change).

So my only thought is that, well sometimes I know fish die for no reason, but also perhaps the high dose of excel could've exacerbated an underlying condition. I do have hard water which has a relatively higher PH (7.6-7.8). The other fish all seem active and happy, but I am sad about the fish that I lost:(

ashleynicole said:
Well, day before yesterday I dosed my aquarium with the first dose of excel, which recommends 5ml per 10 gallons for the first dose or after a big water change. Then it recommends 5ml per 60 gallons daily or every other day. I don't think I will ever add the high dose again because I lost a bolivian ram and a cory the day after I did a water change and added the big dose of excel.

Water parameters are excellent. Ammonia- 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate barely at 5-10ppm. (I had just done a water change, they were at 10-20ppm before the water change).

So my only thought is that, well sometimes I know fish die for no reason, but also perhaps the high dose of excel could've exacerbated an underlying condition. I do have hard water which has a relatively higher PH (7.6-7.8). The other fish all seem active and happy, but I am sad about the fish that I lost:(

I only dose 5 ml with flourish excel, and 5ml with an iron rich fert every sunday

well mine is a 29 gallon, so I dosed the first dose of excel with 10 ML, which was less than the suggested 5ml per every 10 gallon initial dose. For subsequent dosing I can give 2.9ml daily, but I think I am only going to dose 2ml every other day to be safe. For the seachem flourish general fertilizer, I only dose 2.5 ml once a week after the water change, haven't had any issues with that.

Back
Top Bottom