Lost another cory :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't get it. I have lost 2 corys in my tank. Both of them were around the drift wood. One looked like he got caught. The other one just died next to it. Can driftwood or tannins be toxic to them? I have tried to make sure that they are all out of the way before I place it after cleaning. I was VERY careful last time. Yet one is under there again :(

Anyone else have issues with them?

They are stubborn little buggers. They don't move when I am vacuuming either. These fish are not mean for me.

Off to test my water and make sure nothing is wrong.
Jana

*******update
Water tests fine
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20
Temp 76.8

I'm sorry to hear about your corys. It's possible they got caught in the driftwood, but not likely. How many corys did you get and how long have you had them? What kind of corys are they? Driftwood itself is not harmful to them.

They are Corydora Hasbrosus. I got 11 and lost 2 in ISO. I was told they were persnickety right after purchase. They went through ISO for 3 weeks I think. My ISO tank crashed so it was cut a bit short.

They have been on their regular tank for about 3 weeks? I've had them about 6 weeks.

Not sure what it is but I'm not ever getting anymore. They are a pain to gravel vac around.

That is odd that they died after that length of time. I don't really enjoy my corys either because I hardly ever see them. I have 10. I wouldn't get them again.

Sigh and another one :(. Not sure what to do my pH is naturally high guess these aren't for me. I figured they would adapt like all others. :(

From the LFS. It was boiled and soaked in dechlorinated water. Think it's the wood?

I lost 3 in ISO w/out it but I have no idea with is causing it. I'm going to work on lowering the pH in a stable way. It's 7.8

Not anymore, if it was just driftwood you'd found and placed in the tank it could've been a problem but I'd say we can rule that out.

How big is your tank and how long was it running before you added the cories?

The tank is 28 gallons and has been up since February.

Tests are pretty consistent.
Ammonia and Nitrite 0
pH 7.8
Nitrates 10-20 (can't tell the difference)

Temp 78.8 but fluctuates with room temp. Never falls below 75/76.

Jana

jlbfish said:
The tank is 28 gallons and has been up since February.

Tests are pretty consistent.
Ammonia and Nitrite 0
pH 7.8
Nitrates 10-20 (can't tell the difference)

Temp 78.8 but fluctuates with room temp. Never falls below 75/76.

Jana

I got nothing sorry. Your parameters are fine, the driftwood isn't likely to be the problem...all I can say is whatever happened isn't likely to be your fault so don't beat yourself up over it. Fish can be selfish little buggers and die for no good reason at all occasionally :(

Thanks :/. I'm still looking into pH being a cause my tap/tank/and refill tank water test different. I wonder if I am shocking them or something. But in new at this testing so opened a plain pH thread so I can get to the bottom of my readings correctly.

Thanks so much for the help. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom