Lost One!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crs1945

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well it finally happened. We just moved 6 Panda Cory,s to the 29gal from the QT tank ( after 3 wks. qt ) and in three days we were greeted by a belly up deceased Cory this a.m.!Have no idea why. They were all healthy, swimming around and eating well in QT.You still feel bad when it happens.:nono:
Chuck

With corys, it doesn't seem unusual lose one within the first month or two, without what we consider just cause.

Sorry for your loss.

Last One

Well it finally happened. We just moved 6 Panda Cory,s to the 29gal from the QT tank ( after 3 wks. qt ) and in three days we were greeted by a belly up deceased Cory this a.m.!Have no idea why. They were all healthy, swimming around and eating well in QT.You still feel bad when it happens.:nono:
Chuck

Hello crs...

Cory deaths are typically the result of slight changes in water chemistry. Corys are much more senative to this than most other species. If you're not removing and replacing at least half the tank volume every week, then you should consider starting to do it.

Large, weekly water changes will keep the water stable and guarantee a pollution free tank. By following such an aggressive water change routine you'll be assured that pollutants won't have time to build up in the tank before the next large water change.

I keep a large number of different Corys and change 60 to 70 percent of the water in my tanks every week.

B

Does this have to all at once or can I do 2x25%. Thanks:dance:

Hello again crs...

Small water changes only remove a small amount of the dissolved pollutants, that leaves more pollutants in the water with more time to build up. If you're going to the trouble of getting out the equipment to perform a water change, then it's best for the fish and your effort to take a few extra minutes to remove half the tank water. To me, small, 20 to 30 percent changes, even a couple per week aren't as effective as a larger change.

If you think you can get by with 20 to 30 percent water changes, then you probably believe overfiltering the tank will keep the tank water clean. The filter is only taking in very toxic water and replacing that with water that's a little less toxic. Filtration equipment is absolutely needed, but don't rely on it to keep the water pure. Only large, weekly water changes will do that.

When it comes to water changes, the more you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

B

Back
Top Bottom