Lots of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LLG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know that I had too much light in the tank, for various reasons (the LFS said that the dwarf water lettuce needed a lot of light) but I have learned my lesson now.

How do I get rid of the nasty stuff that is already there? There is the thick, light green fuzzy looking stuff. It scrapes off but I can't get hold of it with my tweezers: it breaks up and I'm afraid of spreading it. The pleco and snails don't go near it.

They also avoid the black stuff that is all over the stems of the plants. I couldn't get a photo of it.

What are those things and is there anything that gets rid of it? I don't want to use toxic chemicals because I have young shell dwellers in there.

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 37
Hello LLG...

Algae is easily controlled by removing the food source. Limit the food you feed the fish to a little every day or even two and establish a fasting day for the fish once a week. This will encourage them to remove any uneaten food. Gradually increase your water changes to half the tank's volume weekly. This will remove any nutrients that have dissolved in the tank water from uneaten food. Add some individual stems of Anacharis, Water lettuce or Hornwort. These plants will use any uneaten food. The algae will gradually die back due to lack of nutrients.

B

Back
Top Bottom