Lot's of new newbie questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would advise against using anything that is taken from a local pond or river. Check your local laws to see if it's even legal.

Creek rocks wouldn't be a good seed source. You would need to boil them first to get off any contamination.

Do you have an Ace Hardware near you? They sell pure ammonia for cheap. It's faster and doesn't stink up the place as much as decomposing shrimp.

GBR is probably German Blue Ram. Beautiful New World Cichlid.

I don't think Crawfish would be good with any fish as they would most likely eat them.

A GBR is a German Blue Ram. No fish is safe with a crawfish. After your tank is cycled and a bit mature you would have plenty of room for a pair of rams. Just not with the crawfish.

They are cute little 3-inch, gentle fish. You were told to avoid African and other large cichlids.

Here is a picture of one.

Attachments

• ram_264.jpg
    ram_264.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 22
Nobody has a nice list of big or small cichlids by chance do they :) ? How about a list of fish for different depths? I've found a couple of compatibility charts but it's the aggression issue and speed of fish that I'm cautious about too. Would love to fill the tank (not overstock it) top to bottom not just in the middle.

The most commonly available dwarf cichlids are rams. There are also a number of species of Apistogramma's, but they aren't suitable for hard, alkaline water. They tend to be somewhat delicate fish, not a good choice for someone new to start out with.
N. multi's are the smallest cichlid in the world, 2" is a large male, females about 1.5".
Here's a pretty decent list of cichlid species with some useful info on each: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

Back
Top Bottom