Lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForTheLoveOfFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok to start,

1. How can I tell a gender of a fish?
2. Can someone identify what kind of mollies I have( I know they are lyretail )

image-2998778011.jpg

3. One of my mollies just had 14 babies and was wondering when I can sell them and what they go for( CAN ).

Also I'm missing a fish( albino mollie ) and I've literally emptied my tank? Where the hell can it be? Would any of my stock eaten it?

I have stocked currently:

3 glow light guppies
2 dragonhead guppies
3 glass catfish
3 lyretail mollies
2 albino mollies (1 missing)
1 pleco

1. There is no one certain way of identifying a fish's sex, but in most livebearers, the presence (or lack thereof) of a modified anal fin, called a gonopodium, is indicative of the sex. Males have a gonopodium; females do not.

2. Most likely a hybrid of Poecilia sphenops.

3. Because of the availability and frequency of breeding, mollies are not worth much. Wild types and sailfins are worth more. Most shops will trade for supplies and some offer credit. Check with your local fish store.

4. Your stock will only eat an adult molly if it was already dead. Look for the corpse.

David

David did good answering all of those questions *thumbs up*
I would suggest taking every single decoration out, bagging your fish if you must (but leave them floating) and search absolutely everything!

Check the filter, check in all little spaces in the decorations, sift your gravel. If there's a rotting corpse, it could harm your fish.

I have been out of town and my girlfriend won't stick her hands in the tank. But one of my guppies have died since I've posted this. I arrive in town tomorrow and will have a look through the gravel then. But I have checked everywhere besides gravel.

Back
Top Bottom