Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOUD air pump

I had to unplug my air pump at 6am because it was buzzing so fri**en loud. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, but that didn't help. Bad thing is the air pump is connected to my sponge filter. I have a battery powered air pump, but I need to get batteries for it. If I order a new air pump will my fish and the sponge filter be ok for a few days without an air pump if I can't get to the store to get batteries for battery powered air pump? Also, PLEASE tell me there is a quiet/silent air pump out there. The one I have is a Tetra Whisper so please don't mention that one. PLEASE don't tell me how I can fix it as I'm not a fix-it person like that and I have physical disability so it will be hard or impossible for me to fix anyway.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think that the beneficial bacteria in the sponge filter would be fine as long as the sponge is still in the water. If you have an additional means of filtration I think the fish would be okay for a day or two, you will want to do a extra water change or two if you can and keep an eye on the parameters.
I wrap my air pump in a soft rag so that it doesn't buzz against the surface it is resting on. If it is buzzing internally, though, I don't know how to help that. I don't know which brand of air pump is quietest, hopefully someone else chimes in.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My air pumps are all suspended on a bar with a soft tension spring. Above the water level.
Because the sound is not transmitted to the rack.
Approximately after 3 weeks I have to make the exit opening in the filter free. With a nail. Silica bacteria like to build their housings there. The air gets pressure and it gets less. This is buzzing.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been told I could use a power head on my sponge filter but how?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like this I believe: Click image for larger version

Name:	1490906899956.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	297099
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna94 View Post
I've been told I could use a power head on my sponge filter but how?

We can all probably relate to the noise issue with your air pump, I never had any that were really silent and I've learned to mask the noise in similar fashions as some of those who have already posted.

I would not leave the tank unfiltered while you figure this out.. I would also want the sponger filter to remain in working order to ensure the bacteria remains alive.

I think the power head is an excellent option and will solve the noise issue. They can certainly be purchased for the same price (or less) as an air pump... so I'd go the power head route....
Old 03-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntimelyLord View Post
Like this I believe: Attachment 297099
Huh. I wouldn't have thought of that.
My concern would be the current it will cause, simply because I have only ever used a sponge filter in a tank where I didn't want current, like a betta tank.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your air pump is loud because it's vibrating off of something. Try putting your pump on top of a small cardboard box it will dampen the vibrating. Also make sure it isn't touching anything or it will be loud. I had the same problem with my whisper air pump and since I did those things it's virtually silent.

Tags
air, air pump, loud, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com