Low Low PH Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteJade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I need help please......
2 Weeks ago I had really high Nitrite and Nitrate Levels, like PURPLE, lost 7 guppies and my Bristle noses .... so I did large water changes every day and took out my Gravel and replaced it and the levels came right.... Now my PH Level is showing on 5 my fish seem alright but I can't get the Level to rise at all.
Any suggestions on what to do next, also, will my fish survive in this?
14 Guppies and 2 Pepper Cordy's
Thank you
Whitejade

Low pH

Hi,
I need help please......
2 Weeks ago I had really high Nitrite and Nitrate Levels, like PURPLE, lost 7 guppies and my Bristle noses .... so I did large water changes every day and took out my Gravel and replaced it and the levels came right.... Now my PH Level is showing on 5 my fish seem alright but I can't get the Level to rise at all.
Any suggestions on what to do next, also, will my fish survive in this?
14 Guppies and 2 Pepper Cordy's
Thank you
Whitejade

Hello White...

The good bacteria needed to use the ammonia and nitrites produced by the fish waste are living on all the surfaces inside the tank. Most will live in the filter media, but some will be living on the gravel. By removing the gravel, you removed some of the bacteria.

Since you have very acidic water, I would suggest adding plants to the tank that will do well in the lighting you have. Plants thrive in soft, acidic water and help balance the water properties.

I wouldn't get more fish at this point. Wait until your pH is above 6 and then you could get some very hardy fish like Platys or Zebra Danios.

B

Have you tested your taps ph? Set out a container of tap water with an airstone /bubbler. If you dont have an extra, give the water a good stir every so often. In 24hrs, check your taps ph & let us know how this looks. We can then figure out where to go from there. Also, have you ever had your taps kh/gh tested? Although most lfs use strips, it would atleast give us a ballpark idea of what they read. Its likely your kh is very low to nonexistent which will need to be addressed in order to help stabilize your ph. :)

Hi BBradbury & jlk,
I have plastic plants in the tank at the moment but, I will get a live one today one to float on the top so hopefully that will help.
I am actually on Tank water myself and I was wondering if the nitrite breakout could have come from a reaction to the poly tank? I had tested my Tank water for PH, Nitrites and it had all been clear but, in saying that I hadn't let it stand for 24hrs.
My other thought was as there has been a lot of Ash (wood fires) in the air lately that could have got into the Tank from the roof run-off.
So I am going to do a Partial water change today, as I have had a bucket of water standing over night I will test the PH in that.
I am sorry I don't know what kh/gh are or how to test for them.
Thank you for your help, I am sure I will be back with more questions.
Regards Whitejade

Hi,
Well here is an update:
PH Level =5.5
Ammonia = 0.5
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
The fish seem to be ok, I have tried using some pH UP but it doesn't seem to be making any difference.
any suggestions would be appreciated
Regards Whitejade

Attachments

• IMGP0474.JPG
    IMGP0474.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP0477.JPG
    IMGP0477.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 37
Add a mesh bag/piece of pantyhose of crushed coral or argonite to your filter. If this isnt enough, you may need to add it directly to your substrate.

Well,
It's been five Days and nothing has changed, Levels still the same, PH 5.
I have tried the crushed coral (thank you jlk), partial water changes every day.
My Fish seem to be ok, no deaths and they are very active.
If anyone has any further ideas I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Whitejade

Don't use products like Ph-up. They are only temporary when they work at all, and usually add to the problem. Did you test your tap water? Your water may naturally be at a low pH, which is fine. If your pH has always been around 5.5 and is stable then you don't have a problem. Having a stable pH is the most important aspect.

--Adeeb

Hi Adeeb,
Thank you, yes I tested my tap water and it is average 7, so I don't know why the tank is down low and staying there.
Do you think it would be beneficial to replace the plastic plants with more live ones? if so what ones would you suggest?
Thank you
Whitejade

Back
Top Bottom