Low maintenance plants for driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChunkOvPayne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm looking for some greenery in my tank but all I have is black limpopo sand, and some random driftwood,
My tank is 130 litres (29.5 gallons)
And I'm just look for some low maintenance good looking moss or plant that will cling to the driftwood :)

You're describing Anubias. It is a low-light, robust species. Gently tie the rhizome to the driftwood with some light fishing line. It is not recommended to plant Anubias directly into substrate.

You must be patient though, it grows slowly.

Plastic and silk plants are also low maintenance.

You could also try Java fern or any of the mosses. Mosses have different growth patterns (weeping, sideways, upward) so each will give you a unique look.

Hi, I'm looking for some greenery in my tank but all I have is black limpopo sand, and some random driftwood,
My tank is 130 litres (29.5 gallons)
And I'm just look for some low maintenance good looking moss or plant that will cling to the driftwood :)

Try flame moss. Mine is growing great. Anubias works well too.

I echo what the others are saying.... Use some fish line or rubber bands to attach an anubias or java fern to the driftwood - once it takes root you can cut the line away. I've heard of people taking those marimo moss balls and splitting them to create a 'carpet' you can attach to driftwood as well, but havent tried it myself. All three plants are pretty easy to find at the chain stores, and are VERY easy to maintain.

You can use most types of Anubia's, all the different types of Java Ferns, and Bolbitus for attaching to DW. There are many mosses that work as well.

Thank you everyone, I have quite a few pieces of driftwood so I'll try a few of them and see what works for me, is there any plants anyone can recommended that will live on driftwood??

Back
Top Bottom