Low maintenance setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a 60 gallon tank (couldn't pass up the good deal at Petsmart). I need a filter that is efficient and low maintenance. My husband will have to care for all the tanks in the summer (I travel abroad), and he has zero interest in this hobby (and pets in general). So, the only way to sell him on it is to have a setup that won't require much maintenance for 2 months. Which filter do you recommend?

Also, I plan on getting real plants for this tank. What kind of substrate is best? I'm only getting low maintenance, easy plants. No CO2 or root tabs.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would just do HOB filters where he just has to clean the pad with tank water like once a month. I've tried MarineLand HOB and don't like it that well, got a Fluval C4 here recently and love it! Good flow and is quiet. The Fluval aquaclear series is also very good. You could double up on them for good filtration.

I'm biased to sand substrates. I like them more than gravel and fish like corydoras and loaches love it much more than gravel. Since you are not wanting any planted substrates that's easy answer :p

Any ideas on stocking?

Have you started cycling the tank?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would honestly stock the tank super light, Probably 30% from AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor. That way he can get away with doing as little tank maintenance as possible.

In all reality, the filter doesn't matter. The HOB filters are a bit easier to deal with when compared to a canister, but you could go super low tech and just use an air driven sponge filter which would easily go 2 - 3 months worry free without cleaning. That's the type of filter that I have on my 20g tank atm.

I would just do HOB filters where he just has to clean the pad with tank water like once a month. I've tried MarineLand HOB and don't like it that well, got a Fluval C4 here recently and love it! Good flow and is quiet. The Fluval aquaclear series is also very good. You could double up on them for good filtration.

I'm biased to sand substrates. I like them more than gravel and fish like corydoras and loaches love it much more than gravel. Since you are not wanting any planted substrates that's easy answer :p

Any ideas on stocking?

Have you started cycling the tank?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks! I have not started cycling yet. I have to clean it and buy the equipment. As for stock, this is what I am thinking (the crayfish is actually a dwarf Mexican orange crayfish, but aqadvisor didn't have it listed). I still have to make changes to get below 100%.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428152415.841204.jpg

I would honestly stock the tank super light, Probably 30% from AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor. That way he can get away with doing as little tank maintenance as possible.

In all reality, the filter doesn't matter. The HOB filters are a bit easier to deal with when compared to a canister, but you could go super low tech and just use an air driven sponge filter which would easily go 2 - 3 months worry free without cleaning. That's the type of filter that I have on my 20g tank atm.

That's a good idea. I may do that or wait until I get back to fill it. But can I wait until August?? I don't think I can!

The more stock you have the more maintenance the tank will be. Fully stocking a tank like you plan will end up necessitating weekly water changes. Taking care of aquariums is a labor of love, with your husband not caring about it i would worry about the tank suffering because of it.

The more stock you have the more maintenance the tank will be. Fully stocking a tank like you plan will end up necessitating weekly water changes. Taking care of aquariums is a labor of love, with your husband not caring about it i would worry about the tank suffering because of it.

No. That is my plan for the long run. Like I said, I will either stock very lightly or wait until I return to stock it. Also, I will not have it at 100% even in the long run. That stocking plan needs changes.

I can't find the Fluval C4. I may go with the Aquaclear 110. About the substrate, will sand be ok for plants?

I can't find the Fluval C4. I may go with the Aquaclear 110. About the substrate, will sand be ok for plants?

It's fine as long as you don't have loaches like me that love to dig up small plants like star Repens before they can establish. If why have any problems you can use toothpicks or Amazon sells little plastic swords and the hilt of the sword is great for holding them down. I tried toothpicks and swords and like the swords.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's fine as long as you don't have loaches like me that love to dig up small plants like star Repens before they can establish. If why have any problems you can use toothpicks or Amazon sells little plastic swords and the hilt of the sword is great for holding them down. I tried toothpicks and swords and like the swords.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks. What about eco complete? Or maybe a combination of small gravel topped with sand? Sorry to be a pain, but I want to get this right, as it is something that I will never change once it's in.

Back
Top Bottom