Low ph level, water cloudy -- what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tank-challenged

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
finally bought a test kit and ammonia and nitrates levels seem within range.... but ph test is 6.0 (which is the lowest the test calculates, so could be lots lower I suppose)

10 gallon tank
had it for a month or so
5 goldfish, one of whom is spending a lot of its time floating upside down last 4 days....

How big are your goldies? A 10 gal tank is way too small for 5 goldfish. Goldfish require 10 gals per fish. Test your ph out of the tap and see what the readings are. Are you adding any chemicals to the tank? The cloudiness is either a natural bacterial bloom that will go away on it's own or a result over a high bioload and low filtration. I have a 33 gal goldie tank with a high bioload and I run 2 filters rated for 70 gals each. 600 gph overturn. Until I had that kind of filtration the water was always slightly cloudy.

As for the goldie floating upside down, goldfish are prone to swim bladder issues. To help this fish first do a 50% water change. Then you will have to decide whether to get another tank or return some of the goldies to the lfs. As for your parameters, what are the readings exactly for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? You can add some epsom salt to your tank to help the upside down goldfish and cut back on feedings. Epsom salt, 1/8 tsp per 10 gals. Also try feeding some frozen peas, blanch and peel and make into bite size. Good luck.

Swim Bladder problems can be helped with diet too. Foods that sink a bit tend to keep the goldies from gulping a lot of air at the surface. Some foods help relieve constipation too. Like Zagz says, Peas are helpful in getting goldies back to normal.

A 10 gal tank is rather small for 5 goldfish, even little ones. For testing your tap pH, you have to let the water stand overnight. CO2 equilibration can chang the pH overnight, and your tank is CO2 equilibrated. Thus, compare your tank pH to water that has set out overnight.

Ammonia and nitrite should be undetectable. If not, you do not have an adequate biofilter established yet. Overfeeding and overcrowding can contribute to this. Nitrifying bacteria in your biofilter stop working at low pH too.

Back
Top Bottom