Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Low ph, snails and betta

I have a betta in a planted 10 gallon with nerite snails. My water ph is low 6.6 and I did a water change 2 days ago. I have driftwood with plants, how can I raise the Ph safely? One of my snails shell is soft on part of it So I need to stop any further issues. I’ve had her for 1.5 years . I bought a cuttlebone to add calcium will this also help raise PH? I have peppermint tums but I’m worried that the peppermint flavor is harmful? The snails won’t eat the tums it’s just to add calcium and raise ph. I don’t think the betta minds a low PH but I want it to be at least 7 for the snails! Also I’m worried about making any drastic changes but the cuttlebone should work slowly?

Old 01-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bag of crushed coral in the filter will buffer it up to about 7.6 maybe. It'll last forever too

Old 01-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coral for freshwater tank? Not sure my betta will like that or my plants, I have a bubble filter
Old 01-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crushed coral in a media bag put in filter for increasing pH is fine for a freshwater aquarium. Its just a source of calcium carbonate to dissolve in the water. Use cuttlefish bone if you dont want to use crushed coral.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a whole 25g tank with crushed coral substrate. Limestone rocks will help the ph come up a little too

Tags
betta, low ph, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com