Low ph...why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 5g planted tank and let it cycle for about a month and yesterday I bought some RCS. I tested my water before introducing the and saw the test was under 6 ph. So I did a 25% water change and waited an hour and everything was fine 6.8ph. When I woke up this morning it was 6.2 so I decided to get an air stone to air out the water(might have high co2 or something), But that didnt help it still went down and I already lost a shrimp. I have a a HOB filter with a pre sponge filter foam and Fluval Biomax stones in the filter. Should I add something else to the filter to help out or get Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement or Nutrafin Cycle

Sent from my LG-E971 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With some more research I think i know why my ph is low. I have a piece of 10" drift wood at the bottom of my tank but I can't take it out cause my moss and one of my plants is attached to it plus its in the substrate which I don't want to disturb.

Before adding my shrimp I did a water change and added baking power and that worked for a couple of hours then it went back down. Now I have RCS in and don't want to shock them with baking powder or chemicals

I read that adding a piece of cuttle bone which I have plenty of from my bird would help or even coral. I just want to raise it from where it is 6ph is the lowest my test goes and its around there and id like to raise it to 6.5 or 6.8 so i can add neons and for the good bacteria to cycle

Well with not much help from here and figuring out the wood will always drop the ph I just add some water if it drops every three days or just do a 600ml water change which is drinking water bottle size and is perfect to keep the ph right at 6.4 to 6.8

Fluval plant and shrimp stratum is designed to lower your pH. That's what's causing the problem. When you do a water change, the substrate takes a while to buffer the pH again, which is why water changes are helping. The pH buffering effect will wear off after and while and you won't have a problem anymore. The same thing happened in my shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom