Lowering my pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tap water is very alkaline here. While great for my marine tank, it's not so great for my freshwater tank. The pH now is at about 7.8, and as far as I know, it needs to be about 6.5-7.0. I use the chemical in the picture below, but I'm trying to find a quick fix. I should note that it has not actually killed any of my fish to date, but it can't be good for them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here:

Attachments

• 1405378364818.jpg
    1405378364818.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 67
My tap water is very alkaline here. While great for my marine tank, it's not so great for my freshwater tank. The pH now is at about 7.8, and as far as I know, it needs to be about 6.5-7.0. I use the chemical in the picture below, but I'm trying to find a quick fix. I should note that it has not actually killed any of my fish to date, but it can't be good for them.

7.8 is fine for most fish and I wouldn't worry about trying to adjust it. Adding chemicals to change your ph is generally not recommended because it can lead to large swings that are dangerous to fish. Most fish will adjust accordingly as long as they are acclimated fine.

Define acclimated fine? :p

My pH is 8.4 and my fish are ok.

While there are some fish like Discus that are better suited to lower pHs, most others will adapt.
If you purchased your fish from a store that's somewhat close to your house, then the pH of the store's water is likely the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any other extra acclamation steps? Like drip acclimation in saltwater?

Thanks by the way :)

Yup, drip acclimation is a good method but not always necessary. Typically when I buy fish from somewhere (in-store or online) I try to inquire about the ph of their water/tanks, and depending on how different it is to mine I may take longer or shorter to acclimate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

And how do you do it if I may ask?

I drip acclimate, but mainly because I'm a bit lazy and don't want to get up every 5 mins to swap out bag water for tank water.
If you have the stuff and know how, then I don't think you can go wrong with drop acclimation. I also think it would do more good for fish than trying to alter the water's pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And how do you do it if I may ask?

Float baggie in tank, add a small bit of tank water every 10-15 min with a turkey baster for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

OK yeah that's how I usually do it for both my fresh and salt tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom