Lowering PH In Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquageek59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All-

My 29 gallon freshwater planted tank has been cycling for about 5 weeks now and the ammonia level looks like its close to zero. My tap water is around 7.9 and seems to stay at that level in the tank. I have been doing frequent 20% water changes. I am planning on having mostly tetras and wanted to try to get the water parameters closer to ideal for them. I've read where hardness means more than ph so I guess I'm trying to soften the water some. I did a kh test yesterday and It looked to be around 80. When I measure the ppm in my tap water it's 160 ppm so I know I have a fair amount of calcium and magneasium . any suggestions on how to move the parameters closer to ideal for most tetras.?

Thanks Gene

If you are getting local fish, they will already be acclimated. However, traditionally, I use a planted substrate to lower the pH. Its a little safer than dealing with constant chemicals. Now you could also lower the hardness with some aquarium safe peat in the filter... but that will leach tannins into the tank and will ussually not lower it much.

You can go all out and use peat filtration media or just try adding catapa leaves (or oak leaves from your backyard). Also o make coconut caves for my apistos but tetras dont care much for hideouts

I use all these options as I'm going for a more natural look. If you want a "clean" looking tank for vanity's sake go with the peat by itself. I don't use carbon, the tannins are great anti-fungal etc

Thanks Folks for all your response.

So I hadn't considered that most tetras sold at my lfs have been acclimated to
harder water. I will speak to the owner and get their opinion on the need to provide softer water.

One question I have on catapa leaves. How long do they last. How often do you change them out ?

Do they sell peat pellets or filter cartridges with peat or is it a DIY thing?

Sera sells a peat media for filtration. That's what I use. It seems to last a while - 6 weeks or so. I rotate rinsing mechanical pads/changing polishing pads and replacing peat media every 3weeks. I also use bioballs but rarely ever touch those.
The catapa can be left in forever til they completely dissolve or replaced every 2 months. They come in different sizes. The larger ones create shelter for bottom feeders. They can be as big as tobacco leaves or as small as bay leaves. As far as fish being acclimated to tap water yes that's true most any fish from a lfs will be fine in neutral but always ask what they're doing. Wild caught and f1's are gonna be more sensitive. Some fish like puffers are almost always wild so research first.

Also using ro water/ collected rain water will really drop it if you want to induce spawning. Most of these fish spawn in the rainy season so you can trick them in this way

CO2 gas injection is the best way, and not necessary unless you are running a higher light and densely planted tank. but as mentioned temporary, During the night cycle CO2 is either used up or degassed and PH rises till the light cycle turns on CO2 is trurned back on usually an 1/2 hour before light cycle.. Driftwood is another way Tannins leach and that is an acid to. Turns the water a little brown though

Most plants species prefer acidic conditions to thrive during light hours. Acidic conditions with CO2 injections directly correlates with amount of CO2 in the water column. (CO2 GAS MIXES WITH WATER AND FORMS CARBONIC ACID)

But as mentioned the best way is to avoid chemicals to lower your PH...

Back
Top Bottom