Lowering ph with peat moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Converting my 20g into a microfish/ cherry shrimp tank. Two of my new species to this tank are best in water with a very low ph. Licorice gouramis and green neon tetras. My current ph is around 7.5. Have a few pieces of driftwood but that is only having negligible effect. So was thinking about adding peat moss to the filter. Is that a good idea? I understand that it will stain my water. Other fish in tank are celestial pearl danios. Pygmy Cory's and cherry shrimp. Those all should be fine if lowered to about. 6.5

Most fish will adapt to the higher ph level, as long as it's steady. Where you tend to see issues with ph is when people start messing with the natural level. Big swings can kill fish. If your fish are wild caught I would say to match their natural environment, but store bought, use what you have.

Pretty sure green neons are wild caught. Not sure about licorice gouramis. Wouldn't think of using ph lowering drops. Why I would do peat moss cause natural. And only would add a little at a time to my filter

Peat moss is one of a few natural ways to lower ph. Like you said add it slowly and keep a close eye on your ph. Be weary of drastic swings.

Converting my 20g into a microfish/ cherry shrimp tank. Two of my new species to this tank are best in water with a very low ph. Licorice gouramis and green neon tetras. My current ph is around 7.5. Have a few pieces of driftwood but that is only having negligible effect. So was thinking about adding peat moss to the filter. Is that a good idea? I understand that it will stain my water. Other fish in tank are celestial pearl danios. Pygmy Cory's and cherry shrimp. Those all should be fine if lowered to about. 6.5

I have a 55g and 24g nano fish tanks. I use RO water to cut with tap water to keep my Kh, Gh, and Ph in the lower range. Using RO is the safest way to keep your levels lower. Peat will only last a short amount of time and there is no way to keep your levels constant like you can when using RO water.

I have the following nano fish and all are wild caught:

Chili Rasbora's
Neon Rasbora's (blue variant)
Clown Killifish
Purple Pencil
Irian Red Neon Killifish
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Pygmy Multi Striped Loaches
Dwarf Anchor Cats
Blue Cobalt Gobies
Aspidoras

All these fish have done great on a mix of RO and tap water.

Do you have an ro machine or do you just buy it from the store? Seems like every fish Iike prefer low ph

I've used this unit for a few years now and am very happy with it.... portable countertop reverse osmosis drinking water system - remove fluoride, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, prescription drugs and more. I have the Pro-100 unit.

The Gh and Kh comes out at 0 which means depending on how much RO you use to cut into your tap water the softer the water will be. I aim for a Kh and Gh of 3 or 4 making the water soft but still retaining enough calcium to buffer the water and keep ph stable and enough magnesium for plants. I don't measure Ph but find keeping my Kh and Gh low in my tanks keeps my ph around 6.6.

Dumb question but does ro machine make better drinking water? Do you have to constantly have to replace filters on it ?

RO water makes better tasting coffee and ice tea IMO. To me it's tasteless.

As for filters I change mine usually yearly but you get a TDS meter which tells you when you need to replace them. It all depends on the quality and how much sediments is in your tap water. They also make a pre-filter you can order that helps stretch out the time between filter changes. I don't use one myself.

You just ordered the machine not any of the extras advertised on the website. The ones on that site seem cheaper then amazon

+1 to rivercats. it also depends on how you like your water. some people love well water, because of the high iron content. some people hate the taste of minerals in their water and only drink R/O water. i live towards the country and love the way our water tastes, but when i go to my moms (in the cities) i can't stand to drink it

Live in the city and hate the taste. Do you still use water conditioner if you use ro water. And is ro and ro di water the same

I ordered the unit as is, no extra's. Then I found more 2 gallon jugs like they sell as I make 16 gallons at a time about 3x or so a week.

You don't need any declor or conditioners when using RO. Just put it in the tank. I use RO also for all my top off's.

Just be sure you use a mix of RO and Tap water. If you would used only pure RO water then you have to remineralize it with special products which in your instance isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom