Lyratail Mollie Annoying to Other Mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We recently added a lyratail mollie after loosing a favorite black mollie. This new addition follows around, appears to annoy, and we think nip at, an existing orange and black mollie. Is this normal? Should we isolate the new mollie for a while? Any comments and/or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you know the gender of the mollies? This sounds like a male "pestering" females to me. The males have an anal fin that is more tubular shaped, rather than the typical fan shape of the female molly. It is a good idea to keep at least 3 females per male when it comes to livebearer's like these.

yup, sounds like you have a male mollie. If it is, and keeps up, get a couple of females for him to spread his love to :lol: And that should solve your problem.

If its a male, be prepared for fry, and LOTS of em! I love mollies very much, but with a male among felames I just couldn't keep up with 30+ fry a month. I have over 150 fry at the moment in a 5 gal tank (i had to buy anther tank for all of em)! Just be wared :)

I just have females now, and was able to talk me sister into taking my 2 males.

Anyone want some marble/dalmation mollies? :)

Thanks for the input. We lost the one fry we had, appears to have ended up being breakfast for one of the group. We're hoping for more but none yet.

stew, that is one overstocked 5 gal tank there, i just got a 10 gal tank and it is still to small for my 13 mollies and tetra and CAE.

Back
Top Bottom