Machotaco's Aquarium Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you both for the compliment!

Pretty fish!

How about Vinegar Eels, very tiny too. Move around for feeding response. Easy to keep alive and have a number of cultures in bottles you can set up in a six-pack holder, or 2 if you need more to rotate for more fry.

I'd like to get my hands on some, they seem pretty easy to culture as well. Just need to find a vender in Canada. I've also been looking at confused flour beetles and would use their larvae as a food. Don't know if they are nutritious or not however as they really just live in whole wheat flour.

Thank you both for the compliment!

I'd like to get my hands on some, they seem pretty easy to culture as well. Just need to find a vender in Canada. I've also been looking at confused flour beetles and would use their larvae as a food. Don't know if they are nutritious or not however as they really just live in whole wheat flour.
We call those Weevils.

Not sure how you could get a starter culture where you live, but if you are up for adventure, you could try to make your own apple cider vinegar, and with your own vinegar might come the vinegar eels. Kind of how one gets Weevils in the flour, in theory and historically the Vinegar Eels should appear, it is natures way of processing things.

You could post in regional
Canada - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

We call those Weevils.

Not sure how you could get a starter culture where you live, but if you are up for adventure, you could try to make your own apple cider vinegar, and with your own vinegar might come the vinegar eels. Kind of how one gets Weevils in the flour, in theory and historically the Vinegar Eels should appear, it is natures way of processing things.

You could post in regional

Canada - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Had some spare time, so I just made a small batch of cider vinegar, if it works out I'll post some pictures, although should be a several weeks before I'll see any eels. As far as the fish everyone is going good, I try to take some good pictures of my fry today to post, and the pseudomugils as well.

Thank you for the link!

Just put the spawning mop for the gertrudaes in last night, and pulled 3 eggs this afternoon, going to see how many I can get for the next week or so

Hey, somehow I missed the post about starting a batch of apple cider vinegar (had the battery go out on my phone!)

Can't wait to see how it develops!

Congrats on the beginning of the eggs!

I was initially scared to try and harvest these. But as CoralBandit mentions there is an easy way. I also found out that there was a really simple way to do it and took a couple pics back in June so I could share the simplicity. As you can probably see I used the bulk media segment of about an inch by 3-4" slit a hole in the center next to the end and tied the string to the media and rolled it up and "plugged" the hole.
60074-albums13946-picture71175.jpg

All the white haze are a zillion little vinegar eels.
60074-albums13946-picture71181.jpg

Hey, somehow I missed the post about starting a batch of apple cider vinegar (had the battery go out on my phone!)

I was initially scared to try and harvest these. But as CoralBandit mentions there is an easy way. I also found out that there was a really simple way to do it and took a couple pics back in June so I could share the simplicity. As you can probably see I used the bulk media segment of about an inch by 3-4" slit a hole in the center next to the end and tied the string to the media and rolled it up and "plugged" the hole.

Filter floss also works well as the "plug"

Wow great info here, thank you! I’ll make sure to keep you updated on it progress.

In other news, the apistos spawned!! Guessing roughly 20-30 fry with mom swimming around right now, super exciting. Also, got three pseudomugil eggs to hatch last week, but it seems I’ve only been able to get one to start eating the micro worms, the rest I’ve been trying to keep the infusiria going for but I’m not sure it will work out. Lots of good news all around, now do deal with my cyano issue... sorry for the lack of activity lately, but pics coming soon

wonderful! now i know who i can go to when i have questions! lol :fish2::lol:

I’ll try my best to answer them! I’m still considering myself in the learning phase with them though :p

The new batch of apostolic fry are coming along very nicely, with lots of micro worms and BBS I notice they are a lot more active than when I didn’t have these live foods ready for them.

Side note: lost one of the three P. gertrudae fry, but I have high hopes for the other two. I added a IAL in hopes of inducing some microfauna for the smaller one to eat.

Back
Top Bottom