Magnum filter spews out little white bits of material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 filters in my 125 gal and the magnum for what ever reason will occasionaly spew out of the return what looks like little white flakes, While they do get filtered or drop to the bottom eventually I have never seen any other filter do this.

It was especially heavy after a cleaning like something in the line worked loose, the lines seem clean, but then what could be causing this discharge?

It seems odd since all that is in use in the magnum is the carbon container and the sponge wrap. the two other filter, a Eheim por and and Eheim wet dry are fine

The flakes are deposits that accumulate inside the tubes. I've noticed that if I don't clean the tubes on my canisters, when I stop then re-start them, they also spew out some flakes. Have you cleaned out the tubes thoroughly with a brush?

Thanks FF, I'll go ahead and run my hose brush through them. I have to say though with all the assorted Eheims I have I only occasionally even worry about the lines as they seem never to have an issue. This is my first Magnum.

I have the same problem with my XP3. I just take my big net and place it at the spraybar and have someone plug in the filter. That way I catch the junk. It doesn't happen everytime but I still put the net there just in case.

I don't have a problem with the flaking except when I don't clean the hoses regularly. By regularly I mean every 2 or 3 months. Which reminds me, I need to do that again.

Back
Top Bottom