Major Mistake!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in New Jersey we've had a major heat wave the last 3 days. My little fan over the tank works well but can only do so much. I bit the bullet today and left my AC on since the tank rose to 85 as of early this morning. Unfortunately I left my heater unplugged and my little fan blowing on the tank when i went to work. I just came home and my tank was at 75!! That's a 10 degree drop in one day... NO GOOD... I have the heater back in and it's slowly climbing back up. No signs of stress in my fish, I look more stressed than them! They are giving me the "what's wrong?" look... But how BAD is it that this happened?? Like I know I made a mistake, but how bad should I expect to pay for it?

Depends on the fish. I had some endlers in a tank outside (while i was testing the seals) to eat any mosquito larvae that might pop up. the tank would go down to about 65 at night and up to 80 during the day. only lost maybe 2 after a few weeks and that may have been to birds fishing. never saw any corpses, just less fish. just dont panic and bring the temp back up too quick.

FishEggs said:
Depends on the fish. I had some endlers in a tank outside (while i was testing the seals) to eat any mosquito larvae that might pop up. the tank would go down to about 65 at night and up to 80 during the day. only lost maybe 2 after a few weeks and that may have been to birds fishing. never saw any corpses, just less fish. just dont panic and bring the temp back up too quick.

I have tiger barbs and a kribensis, a pleco and some kuhli loaches... Everything seems normal right now but ya never know, that's a large drop. It's climbing back to 78 now.... I don't think it was 75 for too long. I definitely got scared when I walked in and seen the thermometer haha.

So in New Jersey we've had a major heat wave the last 3 days. My little fan over the tank works well but can only do so much. I bit the bullet today and left my AC on since the tank rose to 85 as of early this morning. Unfortunately I left my heater unplugged and my little fan blowing on the tank when i went to work. I just came home and my tank was at 75!! That's a 10 degree drop in one day... NO GOOD... I have the heater back in and it's slowly climbing back up. No signs of stress in my fish, I look more stressed than them! They are giving me the "what's wrong?" look... But how BAD is it that this happened?? Like I know I made a mistake, but how bad should I expect to pay for it?

I wouldn't worry ... A 10 degree drop in an hour yes, but I suspect, in your case it happened over the course of several hours... Plenty of time for fish to adjust.

jcolon said:
I wouldn't worry ... A 10 degree drop in an hour yes, but I suspect, in your case it happened over the course of several hours... Plenty of time for fish to adjust.

Yea I assume it took all day to get that low, my apartment was way too hot to drop that quickly. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

Back
Top Bottom